Menu
Reply
afurness
  • 9
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
210 Views
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can’t access my employers website

I am unable to browse my company’s website or its domains. IP address will not resolve. This is effecting myself and fellow colleagues in north east england. DNS server cache1.virginmedia.net.

0 Kudos
Reply
gary_dexter
  • 29.19K
  • 1.79K
  • 3.82K
Alessandro Volta
203 Views
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t access my employers website

What happens if you change your DNS?


*****
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Reply
afurness
  • 9
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
199 Views
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t access my employers website

Works fine with google dns. Easily fixed on a PC but not so using a mobile phone or ipad. Makes no sense. Tried unsuccessfully to log a call with virgin on the phone and their twitter agent has told me to use the forum.

0 Kudos
Reply
gary_dexter
  • 29.19K
  • 1.79K
  • 3.82K
Alessandro Volta
189 Views
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t access my employers website


@afurness wrote:

Works fine with google dns. Easily fixed on a PC but not so using a mobile phone or ipad. Makes no sense. Tried unsuccessfully to log a call with virgin on the phone and their twitter agent has told me to use the forum.


You can change dns on mobiles and iPads easily too


*****
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Reply
afurness
  • 9
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
184 Views
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t access my employers website

I didn’t know that. My employer though can’t really turn around to every virgin media user and ask them to do that. It’s virgin’s issue to solve. Never witnessed such a problem raising a call with anyone like this. Ive worked in IT for 25 years as well. Why don’t they have a ticketed fault system. So far I’ve had my router remotely restarted 3 times by their automated system.

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.65K
  • 270
  • 408
Superfast
181 Views
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can’t access my employers website


@afurness wrote:

I am unable to browse my company’s website or its domains. IP address will not resolve. This is effecting myself and fellow colleagues in north east england. DNS server cache1.virginmedia.net.


Think you posted about this before - and there have been one or two other posters that have had issues with DNS resolution, i don't remember perfectly, but i think they were all geographically based around the north east too.. looks like VM have an issue with one of their resolvers - they probably don't know about it tbh. 

As gray has said just update your dns servers on the devices you need to access the site with.. you could also fix it with your own router (as you'd be able to configure the dns servers handed out via dhcp) but if you use the hub, manual configuration is your only option.

idk, maybe one of the forum staff here will see it, pick it up and pass it to the right department, but i wouldn't hold my breath. 

0 Kudos
Reply
afurness
  • 9
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
172 Views
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t access my employers website

At the moment we are having to provide instruction to our colleagues to add the websites in the PC host file as a workaround. There are a lot of virgin media users as well given the lack of fibre broadband in a lot of areas up here.

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.65K
  • 270
  • 408
Superfast
167 Views
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can’t access my employers website


@afurness wrote:

At the moment we are having to provide instruction to our colleagues to add the websites in the PC host file as a workaround. There are a lot of virgin media users as well given the lack of fibre broadband in a lot of areas up here.


that'll work too, though not much of a fan of hard config like that as a long term workaround - it gets forgotten about, and then you update your webhost and the site changes IP, and then you have another problem and the guy who remembers the host file hack has left the business.. 🙂

as crap as it is, maybe create a document that describes how to change dns servers too - share that instead (cover windows ios and android and you'll hit most of the users in a single doc). 

0 Kudos
Reply
gary_dexter
  • 29.19K
  • 1.79K
  • 3.82K
Alessandro Volta
159 Views
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t access my employers website


@afurness wrote:

I didn’t know that. My employer though can’t really turn around to every virgin media user and ask them to do that. It’s virgin’s issue to solve. Never witnessed such a problem raising a call with anyone like this. Ive worked in IT for 25 years as well. Why don’t they have a ticketed fault system. So far I’ve had my router remotely restarted 3 times by their automated system.


Residential services don’t tend to have such things


*****
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Reply
afurness
  • 9
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
118 Views
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t access my employers website

If I have an issue with anything else in my home though I can either call and speak to a human and explain the issue or log a call online explaining what my issue is. For example if my heating boiler is faulted I can call British Gas or log a fault call on their website. It’s not automated and they don’t have the standard solution of remotely rebooting my boiler as a first fix solution.They also don’t hang up on me if my fault doesn’t fall into 1 category. Really frustrating it is.

0 Kudos
Reply