cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone spot any issues with this?

richardmc85
Tuning in

Specifically interested to understand if my kit is at fault, or if this is related to an ongoing fault.

Query because the Hub 4 keeps essentially disconnecting/reconnecting every 15 minutes - like clockwork. Note the timestamps may be wrong as I have already force reset the Hub 4. I am running in Modem mode.

Cable Modem StatusItem Status CommentsChannel Overview Downstream Upstream

Cable Modem Status
DOCSIS 3.1
Primary downstream channel
SC-QAM
DOCSIS 3.0 channels
DOCSIS 3.1 channels
24 REPLIES 24

@richardmc85 the downstream is fine, the upstream connection is knackered though. You'll need a technician visit and it's likely to be a dodgy cable joint or connection,. Unfortunately as there is also a known issue in your area, that'll prevent VM from booking a visit until this issue is resolved although it's highly unlikely to be the cause of your problem.

You may need to be patient and wait for the fault to be sorted out and then get a visit arranged.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to me. 

As expected it has been pushed back, this time till the 09/09/21 @11:00. 

Sorry for the inconvenience Richard. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Thanks for this feedback.

That's even more depressing... although i'm clinging onto hope this is all related to the existing issue, particularly given all working fine up until yesterday lunchtime. Its a relatively new pull also, cables haven't been disturbed.

TV works perfectly fine, no issues.

Last question - as I also have a sim on account, can that be amended to unlimited internet to compensate and family can hotspot at least for the time being?
Im sure I have read that as a benefit of the Oomph package.

Online service checker still suggests no issue whatsoever...

Capture.JPG

Hi richardmc85

Well that BQM graph is looking very peculiar! It's strange how the packet loss is occurring in a regular pattern.

I have checked your account and can still see that the outage is still present in the area, and is expected to be resolved by the 9th September.

Please do let us know how things are then and if you need anything else in the meantime. We do apologise for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Beth

Beth

Your router might be the cause test modem mode with a PC connected and allow inbound ICMP in firewall and make a new BQM.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Don’t ever rely on the web page stutus report, it only shows when 100’s of users are affected. It always best to call the automated service status line on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Beth

Yes, the BQM is very accurate representation of what is happening at the moment.

Pretty much like clockwork, every 15 minutes or so the Hub4 disconnects and reconnects to the network. Only allows 10 minute birsts of internet access at a time. I know there is a fault in the area, but I am not convinced that is the root cause of my problem - given after speaking to neighbours, I appear to be the only one with internet performing like this. I have reset the system completely and still issues exist.

Running in modem mode, it did the same thing, I switched to router mode to allow it to talk to the BQM properly (as modem mode went direct into a Google Wifi arrangement which doesnt respond to pings and cannot be configured to).

Genuinely at a loss. Whilst work is on in the area, VM wont send an engineer, but I believe I do need one.

Since yesterday, T2 timeouts are massive. Look to be increasing by 3 on each channel every 15 minutes.

3.0 Upstream channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1US_TYPE_STDMA012500
2US_TYPE_STDMA0125111
3US_TYPE_STDMA0125101
4US_TYPE_STDMA0125101

Any problem like yours that has clockwork regularity is not a conventional SNR issue causes by poor connections or conventional radio frequency noise ingress, but must be one of the following:

1) Software driven, eg a device on your network sending regular web packets that include a corrupt frame via the hub and that takes it down.  This is exceptionally rare (in fact I've never seen it in this forum or elsewhere), but we've seen Intel Killer wifi chipsets manage to take down the hub with some regularity, so it is a very, very remote possibility.  Personally I'd rule this out - you could check by turning the hub's wifi off and physically disconnecting any ethernet cables, a test which presumably can be undertaken and results available in less than sixteen minutes.

2) A massive radio frequency ingress issue from a pulsing radio source that operates every 15 minutes.  Imagine a radio frequency lighthouse slowly scanning a beam of death at VM hubs, if you will.  About as likely as common sense and leadership in government, so we can discount that.

3) Thermal or capacitive cycling of a component either in your hub, any line amplifier serving your connection, or the CMTS that controls the area.  This is probably the case.  You will have to hope that it's the same issue that VM have identified in the area, because policy is as you've found, that area faults always get resolved before individual faults.  Whilst very inconvenient for you, this is a very logical approach for any network operator.