cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone recommend a router

obanite89
Dialled in

I see a lot of people saying to buy a new router and connect it to your existing VM one,mine is a hub 5. What Iam asking is it easy enough to do and can anyone recommend one that would work. Had problems today with my router but apart from that usually ok but struggle to get a signal out of one room most of the time.Any help appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I will not recommend anything that I have not used and unfortunately the router I use is very expensive for most people, about £350. What I will say is if you do a search on the board there are posts with many recommendations. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What problems are you having exactly?

If its just a wifi signal issue in one area there are other ways to sort that without getting a new router.  For example, how easy would it be for you to run some ethernet cable from the Hub to the wifi deficient location ?

And what VM package are you on?  Because VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max

See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

And Pods are free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? 

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, obanite89.
Thank you for taking the time to post on our help forums and glad to see our very insightful members above has already jumped in to offer some advice in regard to your query.

We're sorry to hear your Wi Fi is not giving you good connection quality in certain locations, we'd love to assist with this.

As we do not support 3rd party equipment we'd be unable to offer advice on which non-VM hub to purchase, however we'll eager to support with any issues with our services.

When it comes to wireless network, as this broadcasts in a way similar to a radio you may experience weak or blind spots where the Wi Fi coverage is slim to none the farther you go from where the hub sits.
This happens for various reasons including the house layout, materials inside the walls, other energy sources causing electromagnetic fields and interference, network traffic and so on.

For this we've got you covered with our Wi Fi Max as jbrennand above has mentioned, please visit here to view more on how it works and more useful info.

You may need to add this on and get up to 3 Wi Fi Intelligent Pods to enhance the wireless signal throughout and get our wireless service & speed guarantee.

To identify such issues and if a Wi Fi Pod is the best way to resolve this, you may use our Connect App here where you'll find our scan feature to run our checks and see how good your signal is in every room.

Do let us know if this helps, we'll be happy to advise more and assist with getting Wi Fi Max as it may come with a cost of £8 per month for some customers, depending on the service tier and package you're on.

If you have more questions or concerns feel free to ask.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Adri_G wrote:

As we do not support 3rd party equipment 

You can say that till the cows come home but if a PC can't connect to the internet that is working fine but your hub shows fine you are clearly missing support on that!

---------------------------------------------------------------

fizz
Fibre optic

I have just bought a tp-link axe5400. Works great. This is because I was told by Virgin to get my own router because I have 35 devices and their hun cannot cope.. so the comment by Adri about not supporting third party equipment makes me laugh especially as they cannot fix and support their own.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Modem Mode