cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a defective hub3 in modem mode damage a connected WiFi router?

marcotiemann
Tuning in

I have recently switched from one hub3 to a new one (contract owner moved out). I use the hub 3 in modem mode with an Asus WiFi router. On the same day as I swapped the hub 3, my Asus router died (fully dead). I received a warranty replacement of the Asus router today and set it up, and immediately the 5g WiFi was broken.

I am now wondering whether the new hub3 can damage connected WiFi routers. Is this even possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marcotiemann
Tuning in

Got another replacement wifi router connected now, and so far everything is working as expected. I guess I experienced a "statistical anomaly" with two wifi routers failing in a row. Haven't found any indication that a VM Hub 3 can indeed murder a wifi router through a network cable.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Sounds like an unusual sequence of fails.

With the original Asus router, did you have to power it down and back on again when you swapped over the VM hub?

I have occasionally found that if you sometimes switch off a bit of kit that has run 24/7 uninterrupted for a long time then it can fail the first time it is switched off and back on again.

Have you checked for any known issues with the replacement hub, such as firmware updates etc. that might need attention?

When you say the 5GHz has failed, what do you mean? No devices can see a 5GHz SSID from the new Asus or you can see one but get no connection?

With the old Asus router I dont't recall whether I powered it down, but it was set to reboot once a week on a schedule. The replacement one had an issue where the 5g WiFi would be visible but not connectable for a minute and then disappear. Tried firmware update and the factory resets and setting it up again to no avail. Replacement on its way back to vendor now. I had plugged the replacement into the hub 3 for setup. Will try the next replacement standalone first to verify it works without having been connected to the hub 3. I did run the original Asus box on another hub 3 for two years so there is no general compatibility issue there.

Client62
Legend

The Asus Routers are domestic grade products, as you have already found they do fail.

Perform a factory reset on the Asus Router. The 5GHz Wi-Fi may just be sleeping off the heat of today.

I totally doubt a Router can be damaged by a functioning VM Hub.

Thank you for your suggestions. I did try factory resetting it and our place was 21c today.

I also find it unlikely that the hub3 could damage a connected WiFi router but find the timing suspicious. I guess I will see when I get the replacement - if it works before connecting it to the hub but not after then I would become more suspicious 

Spoke to VM support and they'll send a technician to check the hub3, maybe he knows a voodoo ritual to drive out the vengeful spirit that possesses it.

Client62
Legend

Will VM charge £25 when they decide the Hub 3 is working and there is no fault to fix ?

No they waived all fees for this instance (except no-show).

marcotiemann
Tuning in

Got another replacement wifi router connected now, and so far everything is working as expected. I guess I experienced a "statistical anomaly" with two wifi routers failing in a row. Haven't found any indication that a VM Hub 3 can indeed murder a wifi router through a network cable.

Hi @marcotiemann 👋 Thank you for your posts and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

If you have any further queries regarding this, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your support @goslow and @Client62 👍

Regards,
Daniel