Menu
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can Virgin Engineers run broadband to my Garage?

Hi there,

We've recently converted our garage to an office and now have the challenge of getting an internet connection into it. The signal is not strong enough with a booster, and as we need a strong connection for video conferences etc we would need a cable run directly from the Hub which is about 20 metres+ away. 

Would I be able to get an engineer out (which I would pay for) to run the cable or do Virgin not offer this service? I've tried finding someone locally without success.

Has anyone done this via Virgin?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can Virgin Engineers run broadband to my Garage?

Hi there

This can be done with a duplicate account but then you would have two accounts which means two payments. 

Have you looked into running and ethernet to create a second access point.

If you were wanting a second account I can help you with this.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

they can run a virgin line feed to the garage, but unless you are going to move the hub to there then there wouldnt be no need to do so.

i think you are talking about running an ethernet cable to the garage - virgin don't do that.
any electrician should be able to run such a cable for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If you are talking about running an Ethernet cable into the garage them I am afraid that is not a service that Virginmedia offer, you would  have to look into getting a 3rd party company to do that for you, or alternatively if you know somebody who is capable they can do it for you. Some electricians will run Ethernet cable or ask at you local computer shop.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Run an Ethernet cable and install an access point.

Or get a mesh system if the garage is attached to the property. 

Any “offer” from a field tech to start a new service for you will likely be a referral link which they have to declare before you accept. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my aim is to run an Ethernet cable from the Hub and create a second access point. I can get an electrician to run the ethernet cable but what does the second access point look like? Is it another Hub or some other piece of equipment? 

Apologies for my ignorance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@angove wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my aim is to run an Ethernet cable from the Hub and create a second access point. I can get an electrician to run the ethernet cable but what does the second access point look like? Is it another Hub or some other piece of equipment? 

Apologies for my ignorance!

It will look like whichever one you purchase 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

at the end of the ethernet cable you would connect an access point (for WIFI access)
examples - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Access-Points/b?ie=UTF8&node=430580031

you might also want to connect an ethernet switch to allow you to connect devices via ethernet as well as WIFI.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just make sure you use a good quality shielded Cat6 Ethernet cable (preferably in a conduit).

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos