Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can I use my Virgin Fibre without 5G?

Currently I am using Virgin Fibre 100mb but it’s on the 5G setting.

The problem is most of my devices like my laptop, and my PS4 can’t pick up Virgin’s 5G network so I was wondering can I change the settings and use my WiFi without 5G and still get 100mb of download speed?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I use my Virgin Fibre without 5G?

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

The speed you achieve on 2.4GHz is down to local conditions so the only way to check is to try it.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What Hub model do you have? It is printed on its sticker.

If its an old SH1 it only broadcasts one frequency at a time (2.4 or 5 GHz). SH2's do both simultaneously. Hub3's and above do that to but combine them into one SSID.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have the Hub 3.0

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK - so do as Mike suggested that allows you to select which band to connect each device to.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos