cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I move VM router to another room?

colinreid
On our wavelength

Hey guys.

I am finally getting VM FTTP into my flat / appartment on the 17 JUNE. I was just wondering though instead of having my main router in the living room would I be able to have it in the office room where my PC and console set up is or will the VM pods with the ethernet ports would work just as the same as the router would so I wouldn't have to?

Kind regards

Colin,

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unless you are in one of the seven “trial” areas, you will be getting an RFoG installation (fibre to your front wall, which then reverts to copper coax within the property). The cable from outside can be taken outside to a different room, or inside if you don’t mind the trailing cable clipped to the wall.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey colinreid, thanks for taking the time to reach out to our forums.

We'd love to advise on  your above queries, to make sure we're guiding you through the best process to follow we'd like to ask for a little more info.

Firstly, could you please confirm if you're installing new services to the property due to a house move and do you already have an account with us or is it a new customer deal and activation?

Also, do you have an install appointment with our engineer to get this done or have we sent the equipment for self-install and confirmed the activation date?

We'd need to explain that if you've arranged an install visit our engineer will be able to discuss with you and see or advise where it's more convenient for you to place the hub and will also do the cabling work required.

In the event your install is already done and you need a hub or TV box moved to a different part of the house later, we do provide a visit for equipment relocation which however is classed as non-faults visit and comes with a one-off cost of £25 (just to give some general advice on this process).

Last but not least, regarding our Wi Fi Pods those can be sent to you individually after the install has completed.

Our pods come with either 1 or 2 ethernet ports on them which can be used to connect a pc or game console etc, however the speeds to the pod may vary depending on the signal strength as it gets connected over the wireless network - we'd advise to find a good happy spot for it especially if you're gaming. 🙂

We hope you find this useful, please share more with us and let us know if you need further help or have any questions.

We're eager to support you further where needed.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

colinreid
On our wavelength

Hi there.

1. I have stayed in this flat for 2 years and that's me just getting Virgin Media installed.

2. I'm installing VM as a new service since I am currently with Openreach and would need to get that discount voucher to give them while Im switching over cause I need to pay £600.

3. I have an engineer coming on the 17th June to start installing the cables etc...But I'm not sure if I'm getting the equipment on that day as well and or if I'm getting the pods too which I'll need.

4. No the engineer is just going to come on the day of the install.

5. IF they can't place the router in the office then I would may need a 2 virgin pods for the ethernet.

6. Thank you so much for doing this work for me appreciate that.

Colin, 

Thanks for getting back in touch Colin, the engineer would be able to advise on the day about where they can install the Hub. Please let us know how everything goes.

Alex_Rm