Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can I leave before the end of contract.

Hi,

I have a problem with my broadband from day one. Recently moved in to new house and decided to have broadband from virgin.

All started in a day when engineer came to install device. I wasn't at home, only wife was, and he installed it in the porch not in place where I said a want to. My wife says that he told him where I want it but engineer said it's ok where he install it. Device is now behind the door in a cold room ( not sure if it effects it) and I have poor signal almost everywhere T home. I Have a problem with signal in my bedroom and in living room and my daughter's bedroom,I have signal in my son's bedroom Nd bathroom, those two rooms are right above the porch but even there speed isn't great, only place I have a speed over 50mbps is in the porch. there is no way to have a signal in a back garden and the distance from device to my garden is 15-16 meters. I have signal from my neighbor broadband but not my own.I tried to contact virgin about it and it takes me through few steps that should help. But they don't. Then I spoke to one of the advisors and he said that I will need a WiFi extender. I bought one and WPS connection doesn't work so I can't connect it. I tested extender on the other broadband and it works fine. This is to much stress for my now and I wish I cancelled it within 2 weeks of cooling period but now I am with virgin for about 6-7 weeks. Can I after this period cancel my contract with no extra fee?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I leave before the end of contract.

Speak to Retentions on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-4 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open 08:00 until 21:00 BUT calling early between 08.00-10.00  midweek is best, when you will usually get a UK call centre with staff more informed and helpful. Tell them your problem and see what they say.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM's "early termination charges" are disgracefully high, so be prepared rather than shocked if the company say you have to pay.  But I think there's a way to get you released from contract without penalty, or for VM to just sort out what sounds like a bodged installation.

UK consumer law requires a service provider like VM to provide their service with reasonable skill and care.  Clearly installing a hub in a porch doesn't meet that test, nor does selling you additional equipment to try and remediate the faults of a poor installation.  This would form a very strong argument to be released from your contract without penalty, but I think that to achieve that you will need to raise a formal complaint with Virgin Media, they will probably do nothing or refuse to release you and you will then need to escalate to the arbitration scheme, CISAS.  Which is likely to get you released, but isn't quick.  VM have eight weeks to respond to your complaint before you can go to CISAS, and they'll take a few more weeks.

Follow @MikeRobbo 's advice, and explain the story to the retentions agent - usually they're pretty helpful, but there's no guarantees.  If they won't help, then you'll have to go down the complaints route above.  Or the forum staff can sometimes pull strings to get problems like this fixed.  What is actually needed is simply for the installation to be re-done properly, with the hub in a sensible location.  That really isn't a big ask.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your answers. I know that virgin also has minimum guaranteed speed policy and if speed is under 50% of advised speed I can cancel contract. But when my wife called virgin they told her to stand by the hub and run a speed test. It was over 50% there but I just run a speed test in my bedroom few minutes ago and I attached a photo with result. Do you guys know what is a avarage signal range on this hub? I was about 12-15m away from hub when I did this test. My broadband deal is m100 

Screenshot_2020-10-23-22-33-02-563_com.android.chrome.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Put the hub into modem mode and get your own router or mesh system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi speed tests will never ever be accepted as proof of speed.

You need to test at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected 

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@saludmada wrote:

Thank you for your answers. I know that virgin also has minimum guaranteed speed policy and if speed is under 50% of advised speed I can cancel contract. But when my wife called virgin they told her to stand by the hub and run a speed test. It was over 50% there but I just run a speed test in my bedroom few minutes ago and I attached a photo with result. Do you guys know what is a avarage signal range on this hub? I was about 12-15m away from hub when I did this test. My broadband deal is m100 

Screenshot_2020-10-23-22-33-02-563_com.android.chrome.jpg

The speed guarantee is for wired connections only. Not wireless. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The speed guarantee won't help you, because (unlike BT) Virgin Media aren't prepared to guarantee wireless speeds.  Because the whole complaints and escalation process is slow, and because this appears to be a daft installation where the technician WOULD have known it was daft, but still chose to do that, I'll flag this for the forum staff to look at.

Note for the forum staff:  No way on earth this installation passes the "Reasonable skill and care" requirements of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.  The cheapest and simplest fix is just to send a technician to do the job properly and put the hub in the main body of the property.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

BT wifi guarantee is not all it seems to be.
If you read the small print they only guarantee 3mbps or 10mbps depending on how you read it.

And if they could guarantee the speed why would they offer a money back if you can't get it?

Complete Wi-Fi guarantee:

96% UK availability. BT sends additional discs to guarantee at least 10 Mbps in every room of your home. Sky send one additional disc and guarantee 3 Mbps or money back. No other provider offers a faster Wi-Fi Speed Guarantee than BT. To verify e-mail fibre@bt.com. We’ll send you up-to three discs to ensure a strong signal of at least 10Mbps in every room of your home. If you still can’t get a strong signal we’ll give you a one-off credit of £100 off your next BT bill. The guarantee only applies when your Smart Hub2 is connected to the internet and it does not cover broadband faults. For full terms see bt.com/legalstuff.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

The speed guarantee won't help you, because (unlike BT) Virgin Media aren't prepared to guarantee wireless speeds.  Because the whole complaints and escalation process is slow, and because this appears to be a daft installation where the technician WOULD have known it was daft, but still chose to do that, I'll flag this for the forum staff to look at.

Note for the forum staff:  No way on earth this installation passes the "Reasonable skill and care" requirements of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.  The cheapest and simplest fix is just to send a technician to do the job properly and put the hub in the main body of the property.  

Are they still doing “simple and safe” is installs due to COVID?

0 Kudos