Menu
JayNyan
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can I have 2 accounts/routers for one address?

Hi, 

I'm moving home from university soon, and due to work I'll be needing a strong internet connection. There is already an account set up for the address which is my dad's, unfortunately the internet speed he is paying for isn't strong enough for what I'll be using it for. Because he's unwilling to pay for higher speeds, I want to pay for my own router that I could have in my room just for me to use. I was wondering if having two accounts/routers on one property is possible? And if so how would I go about getting it set up?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I have 2 accounts/routers for one address?

Its not normal but VM can set up two accounts at one address, for examples where 2 families share an address but they would look at each case by case.

But TBH it will be simpler and more cost effective to convince dad to get a VM package with increased speed/bandwith - perhaps with you paying the difference.

What package is he on and what do you think you need?

What are you doing that requires those greater speeds/bandwith?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
JayNyan
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks for the reply!

At the moment my dad is paying for a package with 100 Mb/s download and 10 Mb/s upload. I'm thinking for myself I would be needing at least the 350 Mb/s download 36Mb/s upload. Mostly the internet is needed for live streaming, as well as doing video/voice calls. As much as I wouldn't be opposed to splitting the difference with my dad, the WiFi connection in my house isn't very good due to steal beams in the house (this is how my dad has explained it) and even when using an ethernet cable the internet cuts out all the time when trying to do voice calls. There's a lot of devices in the house using the internet which aren't helping with speed, and my dad and brothers complain about that when it's being slow. I feel like being able to have a separate router for myself would be an easier solution.

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @JayNyan ,

Thank you for reaching out to us here, what you are  asking for is entirely possible. I will send you a private message for some details to see if I can help you out.

Many thanks

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@JayNyan wrote:

Hi, Thanks for the reply!

At the moment my dad is paying for a package with 100 Mb/s download and 10 Mb/s upload. I'm thinking for myself I would be needing at least the 350 Mb/s download 36Mb/s upload. Mostly the internet is needed for live streaming, as well as doing video/voice calls. As much as I wouldn't be opposed to splitting the difference with my dad, the WiFi connection in my house isn't very good due to steal beams in the house (this is how my dad has explained it) and even when using an ethernet cable the internet cuts out all the time when trying to do voice calls. There's a lot of devices in the house using the internet which aren't helping with speed, and my dad and brothers complain about that when it's being slow. I feel like being able to have a separate router for myself would be an easier solution.

You may be correct.  But notwithstanding the wifi issues .... if he is losing connection on ethernet connected voice/video calls (which only need<5mbps) then it sounds as there may be a connectivity issue that VM need to fix first.  Before jumping in with another account/Hub I would sort out the issues in your dad's house - after all 100mbps is well above that the "average" user on other ISP's get - and mostly with no issues.

The steel beam wifi issue is a real one that can be addresses by him adding ethernet cable connected wireless access points (perhaps with a better router too), a good Mesh system or a good powerline extension system (if the house wiring is suitable) etc.

100 mbps should support multiple connections - after all the most "hungry" one is a 4K video stream which needs ~20mbps - how many of them would you have going at the same time?  Normal HD connections are <5 and gaming only 1-2.  How many simultaneous connections are you expecting?  If a lot of your usage will be gaming you might want to consider an OpenReach (or other ISP) connection instead of another VM one - that will for sure have better latency than the VM connection and it also moves your eggs from one basket to two in case of VM downtime 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Indeed - I have had both kids 'home-learning' with me homeworking, all using video chat, the wife watching netflix all at the same time on a 100Mb/s package No slowdowns, nothing!

Oh add on a few IoT devices and mobile phones and tablets connected at the same time and still no issues (until the hub wifi failed and I got my own router)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The best solution by far is to pay for M350 with your father and run an Ethernet cable to your own router on a LAN to LAN connection. As advised you need to resolve any existing problems first, and some wired speed tests should be done now.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos