cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add a second broadband line to my house, using existing phone line. (currently linked to VM)

mariutto
Dialled in

Edited-

I am one of the many still working from home. but I have had some very inconvenient VM outages that have affected my business.

I want to install a second Broadband line to give me a backup. (a different provider, sky/bt/something else)
I also don't want to have to lay new copper telephone wire unless i have to, as the current one already runs to my comms cab.

My Questions:

Can the new broadband use the Virgin Copper phone line? (I think they currently only use 2 of the 6 internal cables) can they simply use 2 of the spare?

If not can i cancel just my Virgin phone? and have the new broadband take over the cable I never use it?

26 REPLIES 26

@legacy1 wrote:
A second broadband connection by the same VM coax cable is not going to help if you have a outage.

the OP has already clearly stated that is not what the intention is here.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

@vm-Jon

Thanks Jon - this is helpful, or at least you understand what i am trying to do 🙂

I really don't need the land line at all, so don't see a need to move to VOIP with us, if it is a necessary step I will, what do you think? (everything I do is mobile or jabber currently)

"You could then have another provider utilise the existing wiring to your coms cupboard to power their service with a little tweaking. as long as you are only talking about internal wiring."
Would it be a breach or an issue for the new provider to simply add their service to the current line, alongside the Virgin number.

Moving to VOIP with us is the best solution, another provider is unlikely to use 50% of a cable already used by us. And we certainly wouldn't want that either.

Cancelling your telco with VM may not be worthwhile due to the discounts applied when you have multiple services.

We will be moving everyone to VOIP at some point in the future anyway.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Do you know how i would go about this? and start the process? 

Thanks for your guidance

Do you have an existing BT/Openreach telephone line coming into the house at the moment?

If the answer is no then I don't see how any of this is possible, all of the other (DSL) providers require an Openreach line.

Virgin took over the original telephone line to the house. From the box on the wall outside I have had an engineer run this various points in the house with the primary box at the comms cab.

If I need to I guess I will have a new cable laid (by the new ISP) to the box on the outside of the house. But I hope they will just be able to pick it up from the cab down the road and cut me over. if I follow @vm_jon recommendation, the line will be made redundant by switching to voip. which clears it for use by another ISP

FYI, new ISP installation state that they dont need an existing openreach connection? I guess it may be the backbone for all ISPs but the new ISP will handle this.

they wouldn't have "taken over the original telephone" line as they don't use the same network.
they have may replaced the socket on the wall, but the external phone lines would not have been touched by virgin.

you will need BT master socker on the inside of your property wheren the openreach line enters the house from the outside.

if it's BT or SKY then they most certainly require an openreach connection to your property, as that's how they provide service.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

TimelessUK
Joining in

Hi there.

Question been wondering around and I need clear answer regardless second broadband at the same  address.

How I can get any guidance, have try call customer service few days ago they promise send A Form to open another account but so far nothing came.

@TimelessUK  right, firstly forget about talking to customer services, you’ll have better luck going out and asking the nearest tree for advise!

What exactly are you trying to do, is it to have two completely independent internet connections, such as if one were to fail the the other would keep going?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I think the question is could the Virgin copper telephone cable, made redundant by VOIP, be used for an Openreach broadband connection to save Openreach running a new cable.

If that is correct then the answer is no, because this cable comes from a Virgin duct and not an Openreach duct. There is no connection between the two.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.