cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can DNS servers be changed on super hub 5.0?

neilbarstow
On our wavelength

Hi all, I'd like to use the Open DNS settings on WiFi with my hub 5 for Internet security [Open DNS block bad actors].

For my Ethernet connection, the Apple System Preferences/ Network / Ethernet / Advanced / DNS allow me to set and use the open DNS numbers but for Wi-Fi they are greyed out in Apple System Preferences / Network / Wi-Fi /Advanced / DNS. On my previous router an (obsolete) Apple Airport Extreme, I could set the DNS for Wi-Fi but I can't find where this can be done on the Virgin Router. I did read here that it cant be done on Hub 3, I hope it can be on Hub 5?

Any ideas please 

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Router mode VM Hubs 3, 4 & 5 do not permit the DNS to be changed.

Virgin Media's  Virus Safe DNS function is quite similar to OpenDNS in blocking fake finance / malware websites.

However if OpenDNS on the Router for all devices is what you are looking to use, invest in a 3rd party Wi-Fi Router and use the Hub 5 in Modem mode.   The 3rd party Wi-Fi Router will enable you to configure a Public DNS of your choosing such as Cisco's OpenDNS.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

neilbarstow
On our wavelength

Just replies to I could tag "Email me when someone replies"

Client62
Legend

Router mode VM Hubs 3, 4 & 5 do not permit the DNS to be changed.

Virgin Media's  Virus Safe DNS function is quite similar to OpenDNS in blocking fake finance / malware websites.

However if OpenDNS on the Router for all devices is what you are looking to use, invest in a 3rd party Wi-Fi Router and use the Hub 5 in Modem mode.   The 3rd party Wi-Fi Router will enable you to configure a Public DNS of your choosing such as Cisco's OpenDNS.

neilbarstow
On our wavelength

Thanks - that clears it up 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@neilbarstow wrote:

For my Ethernet connection, the Apple System Preferences/ Network / Ethernet / Advanced / DNS allow me to set and use the open DNS numbers but for Wi-Fi they are greyed out in Apple System Preferences / Network / Wi-Fi /Advanced / DNS. …

Before selecting Advanced… you need to select Click the lock to made changes, then proceed to Advanced… > DNS and select the symbol to add DNS

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

AMAZING, thanks so much 'Very Insightful Person', I did manage to add the desired Open DNS numbers to my Mac's System Pref/network/wifi/advanced after I clicked the lock as you suggested 

its s hame I cant do it on the router as that would then automatically apply to my iPhone wifi too if I could. 

I did find this helpful article about that: macinstruct has an article: "how to change your iPhone's DNS servers"

I'm not allowed to post the link here, Macinstruct has a useful article:

"How to Change Your iPhone's DNS Servers"

In case anyone wants them - the Open DNS number are 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222 - apprently Open DNS helps with safer browsing by blocking bad actors 

I'm very grateful for that tip