Menu
nuraika
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

CISCO Anytime VPN disconnects

Hi,

I've just recently started working from home for a new employer, using Cisco Anytime VPN to connect to their servers.  In the three days Ive been connected I have had several disconnects while editing docs on the server or using remote access to work in the databases (DOORS among others).  

This is a similar issue to what I had in a previous situation working for another employer last yeear ( different VPNs used).   that time round I played about with the settings on the Virgin hub (as advised) and got annoyed with customer services trying to flog me a faster connection as the solution ( it would NOPT have helped).   

QUESTION.  Is there anyone out there in Virgin Media support who can tell me why VPNs are non grata and why the equipment does its best to make life difficult for home workers?   I have two months to run on my current contract and am seriously considering a switch to a practical and useful ISP.  

0 Kudos
nuraika
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: CISCO Anytime VPN disconnects

I want to add, I am NOT interested in signing up for a Virgin business account, I HAVE tweaked the so called superhub as best I can.   This is a VIRGIN problem that they need to accept, admit to and resolve

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How odd - I'm using the CISCO anytime VPN for work and have been for over a year now with zero issues - only disconnect is after 12 hours it auto disconnects but that is set by our company

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@nuraika wrote:

I want to add, I am NOT interested in signing up for a Virgin business account, I HAVE tweaked the so called superhub as best I can.   This is a VIRGIN problem that they need to accept, admit to and resolve

But is your hub in modem mode as VM will see this as resolved.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
nuraika
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Whatever 'mode' it is in I get the same problem, so for me it is not resolved.  Virgins solution is to deny the problem.

In my last employer the head of dept and i both had VPN issues.  We were only staff who were on VIRGIN.  he had more probs than me.  

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

if a reliable vpn is that important to you then i'd seriously consider an alternative supplier given you only have a couple of months left to run on your contract.

there are lots of posts about vpn issues across these forums - but as has already been pointed out, there are also plenty of people who run vpns without issue too (myself included, have 3 active pretty much 24/7 for various different things and have no issues).

the hub3 has some known issues with UDP traffic, which is often used as the transport for vpn traffic - whether that's the root cause of your problem though is hard to tell.. if it is, then the only option you have is to put the hub in modem mode and buy your own router and hope that it works..

you're not likely to get any support from VM on the topic though - presumably, your connection works fine for everything else, it's just the vpn that you're having issues with - in which case you'll get told that the connection is fine and it's nothing to do with them. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So you tried modem mode you say...

Is this CISCO Anytime VPN TCP or UDP or other protocol? maybe some of VM routers do stateful firewall for outgoing and incoming and closing the connection at a given timeout even if in use.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos