Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

CHANGING VM ROUTER

After enduring the VM Hub1 for too long we have received delivery of the Hub3. 

Is switching from one hub to the other straightforward? Anything to watch out for?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: CHANGING VM ROUTER

Just make sure you phone up to get it added to your account otherwise it will not work.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It might work OK "out of the box", but there's a range of not infrequent issues that can be headed off by changing a few of the wireless default settings - you'll need to root around in the various wireless menus of the hub to get to these.

Rename the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks so each has a unique name that you can tell them apart for example "Freds5G" and "Freds24G".  This is because some devices get confused by the two bands sharing the same name.  Always use the 5 GHz band on devices that support it.  Printers, doorbells, lightbulbs and other dumb devices will probably only be able to see and use the 2.4 Ghz.

Turn off "automatic optimisation".  Again, with some devices they don't like the way this works.

Turn off Guest network if you don't use it (no point giving the Hub more work to do than it has to).

If you have a connection faster than 200 Mbps, increase the 5 GHz channel width to 20/40/80.  That enables any capable devices to connect at the highest possible speed.

If you then download the Virgin Media Connect app, and it persuades you that you have a weak signal and need a booster, ONLY HAVE THE VM BOOSTER IF IT IS FREE AS PART OF YOUR PACKAGE.  Otherwise the booster rental pricing makes it far better to just bypass the hub's mediocre wifi and buy yourself a cheap mesh wifi system. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Legend - many thanks for your advice - noted

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Andruser - that is really helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Refining your Wi-Fi management.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Great. Thanks Mike.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hoping to go through the process today. Not started yet but in advance a numpty's question - precisely where do I "log on to the hub"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

The login for the hub is http://192.168.0.1

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Brill! Thanks....
0 Kudos