cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bypass WIFI password restrictions?

Shocky
On our wavelength

Router seems fairly strict with the password requirements for WIFI, is there anyway around this?

Otherwise I'll need to reconfigure every device on my network and that's going to be a PITA.

I filter MAC addresses anyway so the password strength is irrelevant! 

6 REPLIES 6

sophist
Trouble shooter

not as far as i know - you’re stuck with hte restrictions in place, or you can buy your own router that doens’t have restrictions

Shocky
On our wavelength

Was hoping the Hub 3.0 would be good enough to ditch my main router which itself it fairly old now.

I'll see if I can change the WIFI password on a few devices, no idea how to do that on my wireless printer though, that will be fun!

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Why not use WPS to connect the printer?  Most support that, and it's easier than trying to type in a convoluted password through the awful control interface of most printers. 

Shocky
On our wavelength
Just tried WPS, wouldn't work, was just endlessly scanning. WPS has never once worked for me, I usually disable it.

Manual setup was easier than expected though, few more things and should be good to go.

The main router in question is a WRT1900ACS, it's 6 years old. Quick range test doesn't show much difference between them.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Why do you want to give up on your router? its still better then the hub.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Shocky
On our wavelength

Be nice to not need two devices.  Is it better though? it was released in 2015.

I'm not seeing much difference in range and speeds are okay so far. Clearly less options in the setup, Hub 3.0 settings are bare bones. 

I'll try it for a few days and see if I have any major issues.