Menu
BBIssues
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Buying a better router? Child-safe controls?

I've been having problems with the WiFi signal dropping every now and then (see here).

I signed up with BT the other day but was having the same problem.

Maybe the ISP routers aren't very good?

I'm sticking with Virgin but was wondering if I should invest in a better modem/router?

If so, which one?

The BT service had an app that let me set timers for individual devices for when they could connect which was good for the kids.

A router with something like that would be great. 

If I got a router, how would it work? Would it replace the Virgin one or work with it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Buying a better router? Child-safe controls?

Can we try and keep to the one thread rather than posting all over the place?

Yes get a better router or mesh system.

What to get depends on budget, coverage, number of devices, types of devices etc etc

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, ISP supplied routers are basic - it’s a cost thing. Buying a better 3rd party router will give you a better featureset.

e.g. the TP Link Deco can filter on content (malicious, adult etc..) and can also give you the ability to provide timed access or time limits.. you should think about your requirements and then do some research on the available options - people here can give you advice on options and how to get it set up with a vm connection, but only you know what it is you want to be able to do.. brands to take a look at include ASUS, TP-Link, Netgear and Zyxel.. all of which are likely to meet your needs to some degree and are likely to dramatically improve wireless coverage - which you choose though will be dependent on what specifically you want to achieve.. 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@BBIssues wrote:

I've been having problems with the WiFi signal dropping every now and then (see here).

I signed up with BT the other day but was having the same problem.

Maybe the ISP routers aren't very good?

I'm sticking with Virgin but was wondering if I should invest in a better modem/router?

If so, which one?

The BT service had an app that let me set timers for individual devices for when they could connect which was good for the kids.

A router with something like that would be great. 

If I got a router, how would it work? Would it replace the Virgin one or work with it?

Thanks.

Which of the BT Hubs was it?  The Smart Hub/Smart Hub 2 and even the Hub 5 are not bad in terms of wireless performance and the best of the ISP routers - but all ISP routers suffer from a few 'constraints' - they are engineered to be low cost (around £20 to the ISP) and have a lot of branding/product support functions and troubleshooting stuff built in.  They are also designed to be 'user friendly' and easy to set up (setting up routers and wireless access point was once only for networking professionals - now it's for consumers who know little, if anything, about it - with all due respect).  A good third party router should outperform an ISP one, in general.  The BT Smart Hubs are however designed to be part of an expanded system with extra 'discs' added to form a mesh system which can make it very good around the house. Virgin are introducing something broadly similar though I personally doubt it's as good.

Most routers will have options to turn off/block certain MAC addresses (devices) at different times - the BT app will have simplified that for you, but it can be set up.

If you use a third party router with Virgin Media it will sit alongside (or wherever you wish to site it) the Virgin Hub which is best put into modem mode - a single Ethernet cable will then go to the router.  You will still need to keep the virgin hub connected on the cable 'line'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Before you spend loads of money on a new router do just check what your home Wi-Fi environment is like - do a scan with a suitable app (there are apps for Android, inSSIDer for Windows and even Apple Airport utility).

You've tried BT and Virgin Hubs - whilst these are not brilliant the BT Smart hubs are not bad either - depending on the circumstances.

I use a BT Smart Hub 2 as an additional wireless access point/switch (connected via Ethernet cable to the VM hub downstairs) - I can 'surf the internet' in the Pharmacy across the road junction, about 300 metres away, with the BT Smart Hub Wi-Fi.

Check there aren't any neighbouring hubs causing you issues and so on.  Careful channel management and Hub placement can help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you decide to by your own router this model has good child protection built in;

https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dir-2660-exo-ac2600-smart-mesh-wifi-router

You can even ask Alexa to turn off the kids internet....

They're about £130

0 Kudos