cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bufferbloat Making Video Games Unplayable

jommy
Joining in

I have had ongoing issues with the performance of my package for gaming for a number of months now.

I have had a Connection Quality Monitor running for about 5 weeks now. I have been noticing its recording some packet loss and ping spikes, which is worrying enough as I'm running an ethernet cable from PS5 to Hub5.

However, the "feel" of the performance seemed worse than the QM would suggest. So today I ran a download/upload speed test - which confirmed that my bandwidth is performing as expected, M250 package and achieved download speeds of around 260Mbit and Upload speeds of around 25Mbit.

What I did notice is the latency - which I now learn to be called "bufferbloat" and I am seeing latency of
- Idle 25-30ms

- Downloading: 175ms-300ms

- Uploading: 50-90ms

Clearly, these figures are unacceptable for gaming and would seem to point to the issue I'm having.

Has anyone experienced this or found any fixes/work arounds?

I've had two engineer visits since April but my connection has been not fit for purpose since at least then, and if I can't resolve it, I'll be looking to get out of my contract. Has anyone had any success getting out of contract on this basis?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jommy, thanks for taking your time to post although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

In order for me to run further diagnostics, please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into things further for you.

Kindly expect a PM from me to arrive shortly, and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

roodles
Dialled in

Are you using an after market router or the VM hub?

I have a hub 3 and if I run a waveform bufferbloat test on it in router mode, it gets a very low score, something like F. With the hub in modem mode, and a separate router running QoS, I typically get A rating.

If other people are heavily using the same connection at the same time as you are gaming, you might benefit from a decent router.

Hopefully I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs here 🙂

My Broadband Ping - Virgin media gig1

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jommy wrote:

- Idle 25-30ms

- Downloading: 175ms-300ms

- Uploading: 50-90ms

Clearly, these figures are unacceptable for gaming and would seem to point to the issue I'm having.

If you know your not downloading or uploading when gaming you have bigger problems

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

The figures look like full load stats during a multi thread speed test - but measured with what and to Patagonia ?