cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken wire

Br7dd
Joining in

we have a huge emergency and was wondering if it would be able to be sped it up at all. i've just got off the phone to virgin because of an outage with the wire from the telegraph pole to our house and they've said the earliest date they can get it fixed is the 20th but we simply cant accept that, our heating and security system relies on broadband to operate and without any, we're sat cold and without cameras or anything. We simple cannot wait until the 20th. I hate to be like those people but genuinely we need someone to come out ASAP and fix this 

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

On the heating control next to our boiler we press the OVERRIDE button and voila !

The boiler starts / stops on demand internet or not.     

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately you have learnt the lesson the hard way. This goes for everyone. When investing in home heating and security systems, cameras included, you need to do the research beforehand to find out if they will work without an internet connection. There are a lot of cheap and even expensive systems that just assume you will always have a working connection. You have a residential broadband contract and all ISPs do not guarantee a service or an SLA for ‘time to fix’.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes that's right. The companies selling home automation devices don't warn you of this, but broadband connections are not 100% reliable.  If you want to have a continuous connection you will have to get a backup arrangement using 4g or 5g phone. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Br7dd,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear that you have been having this issue with your wires and the visit you have booked in, I can see since you made this post you have spoken to our team regarding this, were they able to go about helping you further?

Joe

technician booked for today, originally said the 20th, however i was given the option to speed it up and move it to the 6th if i added something to my contract at an extra tenner, thought whatever as long as it gets fixed. however technician didnt show up. second this has happened and my patience i fear is wearing thing. i feel like im being toyed with 

thanks for the insight tudor, but kindly hop off your high horse mate. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Br7dd wrote:

thanks for the insight tudor, but kindly hop off your high horse mate. 

Sorry you feel this way, but I agree with Tudor's post 100%

For anything that needs 24/7/365 connectivity, you really should have a backup connection incase of problems with the primary. That will have cost implications, but no single connection comes with a 24/7/365 availability guarantee.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ok japitts, i understand where they were coming from, however im not much upset about not having a connection anymore. I am upset that i feel i have been lead on and given false hope. i wont say i was lied to because i dont feel that is the case, but definitely lead on. our technician turned up, he was quite late but very helpful and apologetic, spoke to him and made small talk. he explained why he was late which i understood and was fine about, heads up couldve been nice but there wasnt any way of communicating so its fine. hes going to chase it all up for me and, due to it being a wire fault from the telegraph pole, hopefully should be resolved for tomorrow, if not, he gave me his work number to let him know. appreciate all the feedback on here and apologies to tudor for being rash. 

Thanks for coming back to us Br7dd and I'm glad that the technician arrived and you were able to speak to them. Have you had any further updates since you posted on Monday?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L