Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Broken virgin hotspots

Now that virgin doesn't seem to offer any support by live chat, email or even by phone, I'm hoping some of you can help me 🙂

I've recently moved home and the Virgin Media hotspot at the house next door doesn't work properly. It drops out regularly and sometimes won't let me connect for days at a time even through the signal strength is good. I've never been able to connect multiple devices to it at the same time and I haven't been able to connect in 3+ days.

I'm not sure I can provide much in the way of logs as I can't connect in the first place now.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broken virgin hotspots

Forgot to add I don't have this problem with other hotspots. I've been able to connect multiple devices to other ones before.

The problem has been ongoing for 2 years now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Are you still a Virgin Media customer chronicled?

Do you  have the app installed on an android device?  In the android version it's no longer the app that decides to connect to VM hotspots. it's your device that makes that decision based on the WiFi signal strength.

Have you asked your neighbour to run a wifi analyser to check they are on the strongest channel, so they can help give you a better signal to connect to?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I am a paying customer. I have the iOS app, the android app and the manual config file on Linux.

I've just run a scan to check and it seems they have 3 bands plus the Virgin media hotspot. They have 2 on 5Ghz with separate addresses but the same channel. The hotspot is on the a good channel but their 2.4ghz is in conflict with another neighbour.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Tried to use their text messaging service and I've just received endless spam messages every time I reply 'yes'.

"Hi, we’ve transferred you to the right team, just reply 'yes' to keep this conversation open. Due to social distancing measures there are less of us in the office so it will take us up to 24 hours to get back to you. We have your query so don’t worry we will definitely respond. We really want to ensure we support all of our customers, and we’re trying to keep our phone lines available for our most vulnerable customers, so unless your query is urgent please help us by not calling in. Thanks for bearing with us"

Does Virgin Media exist anymore? I'm beginning to think they're totally insolvent and no longer employ people.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@chronicled wrote:

Yes, I am a paying customer. I have the iOS app, the android app and the manual config file on Linux.

I've just run a scan to check and it seems they have 3 bands plus the Virgin media hotspot. They have 2 on 5Ghz with separate addresses but the same channel. The hotspot is on the a good channel but their 2.4ghz is in conflict with another neighbour.

What services do you pay for?

I wouldn't give anyone outside of the household permission to connect to MY home network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I pay for broadband and mobile.

It's one of the virgin media connect hotspots, so it's a separate network altogether to the home networks. Many people enable it for on-the-go connectivity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi chronicled,

Thank you for coming back to us in our community, if your neighbour has opted out of WiFi sharing you will not be able to connect to his hot spot, in regards to multiple devices I have asked another colleague as I am not 100% sure on this.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies!

They have opted in and are broadcasting the virgin media hotspot. It just doesn't work properly. It only happens with this particular one and no others I've connected to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi chronicled,

Thanks for coming back - have you tried connecting another device on it's own to the hotspot to see if you have the same issues?

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos