Menu
ianjayne
Rising star
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Broadband

Why is it VM say they are working to give us the best service possible but take the service down with no advance notice?

0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband

the two things are mutually exclusive

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Does your garage call to tell you before your car breaks down?   Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
ianjayne
Rising star
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No, this was a planned interruption not a breakdown, think about it, as a utility company (which my garage is not!) the gas, electric and water companies do tell us if they are going to suspend or interrupt their services.

jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@ianjayne wrote:

No, this was a planned interruption not a breakdown, think about it, as a utility company (which my garage is not!) the gas, electric and water companies do tell us if they are going to suspend or interrupt their services.

A planned interruption is different of course, but there is no guarantee of continuous connection with residential broadband. It's hardly critical to life like the three utilities.

I tend to rely on my broadband, but I can manage without. If it was essential to me I would pay for a business connection which has a defined service level.

0 Kudos
ianjayne
Rising star
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The engineer carrying out the work recently said it was 'optimisation work'

In my understanding of the definition of 'optimisation' was that it is to get the best out of it or make better.  So far VM have failed miserably or is that the best they can do if so perhaps they have reached or achieved 'optimisation', I've not noticed or detected any change or improvement in my sevice.

And as far as 'utilities' go, yes we can all do without any service if we are given sufficient notice for a period of time, even VM agree they are a utility now.

It has more implications than just being a business which I have had previously, I run my CCTV (NEST), door alarm communications (RING) both security features and heating controls (NEST again) with my service.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Potential failure of the broadband is something that BG etc don't mention when selling their kit.

It's a judgement one has to make, having the benefit of house security operated over the Internet against the risk of losing it when the Internet connection fails as it inevitably will. 

You might like to consider installing a router with 4G failover. I found it very useful recently when the VM hub was dying. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi ianjayne,

Thank you for your post. My apologies for any issues you're having with the service. 

When planned work is being completed in the area that we believe will affect our customers services we would post flyers around to notify yourself and other customers. 

If the work is being completed on the back of a service fault in the area we would recommend to check out our service page where we report our area faults: virg.in/service.

If this is a business account you have then sadly this forum is for residential accounts only. Here is a link for contacting the business teams: https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-in-touch/contact-us/

^Martin

0 Kudos
ianjayne
Rising star
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

4G fall over router? Enlighten me please, I have a VM SH 3. 

0 Kudos
ianjayne
Rising star
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Not a business Martin. I’ve no idea if this was on the back of a reported fault just said he said he was ‘optimising’ and apologised for taking it down, he added he was working on several street cabinets so I assume ‘optimising’ means ‘maintenance’.  No flyers of course. The Status app showed a fault with both TV and BB. So all in all a bit of a conflict and confusion there wouldn’t you say? Why on earth VM cannot post or flag issues like this on the web site is beyond my understanding. 

0 Kudos