cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband woes - can't speak to a human

WeeJDoh
Tuning in

Hi all,

I have been having issues with slow bb speeds and intermittent signal across the house for a while now, but has been awful for the last 48 hours. The lights on the hub go from bright white solid, to bright white flashing, then to dim white for about 15 seconds before the cycle begins again.

I have ran numerous speed tests and used the outage checker, and this is where it becomes fun....the checker goes between 'oh we can't check right now, come back later' to 'please contact us via....' and 'there is an issue in your area'.

I have tried using the webchat service, but it is the same every time. Soft reset then factory reset, which I have done 3 times now, I called the priority number, only for it not to know the reason for me calling and the automated service says 'oh we will send a link to your phone, goodbye' and guess what? The link is to start again from the beginning!! I have had a WhatsApp chat open since yesterday AM, but the adviser replied once and has ignored me since!

I have ran yet another check this morning and it states issues in the area, but having spoke to my neighbour, hers is fine and has had no issues this week.

I work from home, and have had to take 2 days leave as I cannot manage to do anything with this patchy signal, I can't seem to find anywhere that will give me an actual human to speak with, and as you all probably know, the 'get help' pages are awful.

Any advice would be greatly received, this is now my last resort.

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

Street level faults

Check for a known local fault on 0800 561 0061 - it is an automated service.

Signal Level Checks

Via http://192.168.0.1/ connect to the Hub, do not login in, scroll down to "Check router status"

Using the Hub's "Check router status" tabs check the Downstream and Upstream power levels are in spec.

Downstream Power Levels of -7 to +7 dBmV are preferred, +10dBmV is the max acceptable, with a SNR of 33dB or higher across all DOCSIS 3.0 channels. Rising error counts across many channels is a current service noise fault.

Upstream
Power Levels of 35 to 49 dBmV are preferred, with QAM 64 Modulation mode across four to six DOCSIS 3.0 channels.  Seeing QAM 32/16 is a current service noise fault.

Thank you for replying. 

I have called the number which says there are no faults in the area. 

And checking the router status shows everything within range, all looks ideal.

I have had a reply on WhatsApp to say there is an outage in the area since 7pm yesterday. But that clearly is contradicted when I called and checked. They won't send an engineer to me due to this 'outage' being worked on with a resolution date of 4th September. I am now in day 3 of awful wifi and the hub constantly cycling as I said above, so again, nothing is adding up here.

Client62
Legend

Ask if the folks next door to you having the same issues.   The area issue could be some way upstream leaving the signal levels looking ok but the service wobbly.

WeeJDoh
Tuning in

Yep, next door and house opposite have speed issues and intermittent signal. They hadn't noticed as much as they aren't in all day, whereas I am and trying to work from home.

Will see how things pan out. I hope it's fixed as I can't afford to have any more days off.

Hi @WeeJDoh 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Very sorry to hear of the broadband issues and the impact having on your work.

You do need a technician visit, this is because of the upstream channels.

I'll send you a PM now to book this in.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @WeeJDoh 

Thanks for joining me on PM and confirming your details so I could book a technician visit for the issue with the upstream channels. The visit booked is viewable in your online account where you can cancel/amend if needed.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill