cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband unstable / keeps dropping

klomas
Joining in

Hello,

I've been having intermittent issues for the last month or so with my broadband cutting out. Today, I haven't been able to connect since 12pm, both via wireless and ethernet.

I believe there was work carried out within the last two weeks in my area, however this didn't last more than a day. When checking the service status, it says there's no issues at my postcode and that my connection looks fine. Then, after running the 'test' again, it says there are known issues affecting my postcode and that engineers are looking into it.

Which one is it? The "no known issues" always seems to change to "known issues" when I say the test hasn't fixed the problem, but I have no idea if this is actually the case.

I also don't know if this is in fact an issue with my connection or hub, as it's been continuing for a while now.

Any help in how I could diagnose / fix the problem would be of great help as I work from home full-time.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Faults may not be listed/updated on the Area Status web page as Areas are not Geographic” they are "legacy billing" areas) and as such that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers all across the country. So call the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 0800 which will  give you more info, on local issues like single street cab issues - but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers - or just you. If nothing shows on there, try calling it in as a fault (free on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others - national rate) and see what they say when they test your connection. If they say it’s a known fault, get a fault reference number.

Or, a VM person should pick this thread up and be able to help but it can take a few days.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply!

I've called both numbers you mentioned and both give an automated message saying that engineers are looking into it but it might take a while. From the second number, there was no option to get through to anyone or get a fault reference number.

Strangely, it let me book an engineer appointment this morning saying that there's now no issues affecting my postcode area, but when I call the numbers it says there is, and engineers are on it. So I'm still unsure whether I need this engineer call-out appointment or not 😅

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @klomas,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing these issues with your service. I can confirm that you are currently experiencing a fault in your area, the current estimated fix time for this fault is the 23rd August at 10am. If the system allows you to keep the technician appointment booked in we would advise keeping this in, if it deems that the fault is the overriding issue then you will receive a notification information you that the appointment has been cancelled. 

Do keep us in the loop of how your services go.

Joe

Hi Joseph! 

Thanks for your reply and extra info. The issue is still occurring and I was wondering if you had an updated time the fix may be done? 

My appointment for an engineer to come out was auto-cancelled due to it being related to the area fix going on. I've rebooked one now for Friday.

Cheers

Hi @klomas

Thank you for getting back to us with an update on this. I'm so sorry to hear that the issue was ongoing.

Is this problem still ongoing for you today? Has there been any change since your post? I've taken a look at the systems and I can't currently detect any faults that would explain this.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach,

I had some issues still on Sunday but looks like it's fixed now.

I have an engineer appointment still booked that I need to cancel. However, there are only options for me to reschedule it and not cancel. Would you be able to help me with this? 

Thank you