Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speeds

anyone else getting poor WiFi speeds? Tried all the tricks in the book spoke to online help etc they said reset the hub. Nothing seems to work supposed to be getting over 200mbs I'm getting between 20-30mbs. It's no better than my previous broadband with Plusnet tbh

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband speeds

WiFi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as distance from the Hub,  building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring WiFi basically allsorts.

VM supply to the Hub, after the Hub it is up to you.

To get accurate speed tests you need to set up a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other items connected.

Try that and let us know.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Completely aware of the things can affect the hub but I was with virgin over a year ago and had over 100mbs consistently the hub is in the same place and wherever I move it or whatever I connect to gives poor readings. Just seems a strange one when never had the problem before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tthings change, it is a fact of life that wifi is consistently inconsistent.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

you need to understand how radio works. Just because something worked 1 hour ago doesn't mean it will now. I mean someone may turn something on that interferes. And you are expecting it to work not because it did a year ago.

If only life was that simple 😞 i don't miss the days i have to try and track down wifi problems using spectum analyzers

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped