Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed

I have 500mb virgin broadband package and average speeds of 80mb, best speed 230mb, achieved once, right next to router, constant drop outs and short distance on the 5ghz network. I have better distance using the 2.4ghz but a much slower speed. The router is in the open and not blocked or next to mirror etc. I have changed the network's so they are separate ie 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

I have restarted the box on a number of times and still the speed is nowhere near what I am actually paying for.

Hopefully a virgin representative will be looking at this and will hopefully be able to resolve this.

I'm pretty sure the Hub 3.0 is the problem and hopefully the new hub 4.0 is better.

Neil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed

You won't get anywhere near 500 Mbps with most real world wireless devices.  Over 2.4 Ghz most connections top out around 80 Mbps, so what you see is normal, and on 5 GHz, the best tends to be 180-290 Mbps.  If you expected 500 over wifi, I'm afraid that won't happen any time soon until the Wifi 6 standard is supported.  And the Hub 4 is as disappointing in wireless terms as the Hub 3.

From a reliability perspective you might get better performance from a decent router or mesh system, but peak speeds won't be changed because they're limited by a whole range of factors.  Even if you bought a brand new WiFi 6 router, unless your wireless devices support that then you won't see any speed improvement.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I realise I won't be in reality able to achieve 500mb but, they do tend to forget to mention this in the sales dept.

I am rather less happy about the 80mb, as according to there own literature they should gaurantee a minimum of 285mb, and the drop outs are a real pain. They have said I need an extender, although they can't supply these at the moment

They could more to help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

they can only guarantee speed by wired. the speed they guarantee is the speed tot he hub. What you do on the internal network is out of there control as is wireless. This is pretty much the same across the board.
The only reason BT get less complaints about wireless is with a max speed to most of 80mbps wireless can hit that. With VM speeds of 500-1000 wifi will never get that speed

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

As I said in my earlier reply, it's a shame they don't mention this when they sell you the 500mb package, and extremely difficult to get a straight forward answer after you've purchased the package. I'm looking at mesh systems to improve the coverage and consistency, although that in itself is a minefield.

I would like to try a replacement hub, but finding it difficult to get hold of someone to speak about this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Why would they tell you if they are not forced to?
Buy our speed. Oh and by the way you will never get it on the wireless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Well I suppose honesty would be nice, but as you implied to hide the truth is obviously a far better way to sell substandard services

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

You can get over 500Mbps over WiFi with a device that supports such speeds

B099D05A-8B74-42E9-80F8-0A0CD98E4A04.png

However don’t expect it on a 500Mbps connection for a start due to overheads etc 

And there is no “honesty” to WiFi speeds since every household and the surrounding environment is different therefore it cannot be guaranteed.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Sadly it doesn't make up for the fact that they don't explain any of this to you, they just hold up the magic 500 figure and tell you how much better it is than any other supplier. On a phone call to one of there technians they actually said it could be a faulty hub, at no point did they explain that you would never achieve what they are advertising.

I have been with Virgin, expect for a couple of years, for at least 16 years and they have never had the best support, but this is the first time I've had to put up with average speeds at only 25% of the speed I am supposedly paying for.

So yes I have to say that they are deceiving people at the sales stage and quietly disappear when there are problems

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Actually on the speed guarantee website it states that WiFi speeds are not covered and it’s the speed delivered to the hub that is and that it also doesn’t apply during outages  

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/virgin-media-speed-policy

Don’t forget, our minimum guaranteed download speed is to your Virgin Media Hub, not the device you’re using WiFi on. Even when using a wired connection, some older devices might not support our fastest speeds.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos