Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Broadband slow and lack of response via phone or to complaint

Hi

I recently upgraded my Broadband to 350 and the speed is slower than it has ever been.  Using Virgins own Broadband speed checker and the best I have got is around 7.3Mbps (average is around 5) download and 10.2Mbps upload (is it normal to have quicker upload speeds?) - Which is well under anything advertised.

This is when I can actually run it - the Wifi drops out all the time from around 2:30 in the afternoon.  I can connect, but its says no internet.

I have called Virgin and run all the automated tests and resets but nothing changes.

I have tried calling the support line at least twice every evening for the past two weeks but can not get through to an actual person, I wait for an hour but then get automatically cut off without any warning (which is really annoying), the online help is no help.

I raised an email complaint over 9 days ago and have heard nothing.

Is there anyone out there who can help me speak to an actual person?  Also, what sort of results should I expect when I use the speed checker and pay for 350Mbps?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband slow and lack of response via phone or to complaint

You need to test with a wired connection and a gigabit capable device.

Wireless speeds are not guaranteed. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Alessandro,

I will check a wired connection when I can, but that was not really my question - I am not expecting to see 350 on my Wifi.

My question is more around the fact that I am only seeing around 5-7 and it drops out all the time despite having recently upgraded - does this seem correct.

Added to that, how can I speak to someone at Virgin to find out?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It depends what device you’re testing with. What band you’re connecting on. How busy the channel is. The number of other wireless devices in your immediate and surrounding environment etc.

Virgin won’t help with Wi-Fi speeds as they’re not guaranteed and will also ask you to test when wired.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK, so checked with a hard wire and speed seems fine - 200 plus.

Does that help anyone to answer my question?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have tried it with no other devices connected and laptop on Wifi in the room next door to the router ....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name [SSID] > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name [SSID] > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub then reboot using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your Wi-Fi again.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), flooring / ceilings, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, this seems to have done the trick!!!  Not sure on what equipment outside of VM I should look at, but seems much better at the moment.

Will see how I get on - thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Reading all these notes about all the 'None Responses' to calls etc. I do have another thought to add and that is (1) Why do VM have so many contact numbers basically for the same thing and (2) Why is it extremely rare for anyone at VM to answer a ringing phone if at all?

Furthermore if one is actually lucky enough to get through (usually after around the 55 minutes wait ) (3) Why after listening to your query then usually say they have to put you through to another department which always either doesn't answer again, or just say it is closed and to ring the Helpdesk thus sending everyone back to the beginning. 

On the odd occasion I have managed to get through and they have checked everything out and decreed that I needed a replacement Router/Modem and even arranged for the Engineer to call at a specific date & time. But to date absolutely nothing. I have even asked them to speak to me on either of our 3 VM phones but they say we are not able to do that - What kind of excuse is that for a Communication company allegedly/purporting to be the best in the UK?

In my opinion this has got really silly when a 'simple answered phone call' or a call back is all it takes, but 'they' appear to want to wallow in their anonymity continually using the Pandemic excuse; and do not care one iota about their customers, whom just like them, are being paid to work from home. Most people DO actually spend the allocated hours that they are paid working from home. Personally due to my own experiences over these last 2 months and after reading so many of the other Customers comments they have completely destroyed all my faith in VM's service at all. Thank goodness that we have people on here whom are doing their level best to assist those of us whom seem unable to get help from VM.

Yes I am aware there is a Pandemic going on and people are working from home, we all are, or at least trying to. But there is no excuse for this kind of service. Nothing should be THIS difficult for any company to step up to.

0 Kudos