Menu
Philorton7
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband problems

Hi

Im paying for the fastest virgin broadband with home hub 2 and for weeks have been experiencing sudden drops in my signal, quite often whilst we have multiple virtual calls/ meetings taking place as well as regular poor connectivity,  I am also having to regularly switch off my iphone wifi to reboot as it doesn’t stay connected. 

We live in a 4 bedroom house and have 2 virgin boosters, which are pretty useless as the signal continues to drop the further you are away from main hub and I’m only talking one or two rooms away or the top of the stairs. Have re calibrated several times. 

I have used the online help which doesn’t sort it, I have given up phoning because of the lengthy queues. 

Really fed up with this service for how much I’m paying. 

Any ideas!

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband problems

have you tested the connection via ethernet?  the hub is a poor wifi router and boosters are about the worst option when it comes to extending wifi around the house.. if it's just a wifi problem then you can sort it by buying your own router/mesh system.. 

Philorton7
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your points, it’s definitely WiFi.. I’d rather not have to buy more kit when I’m paying a considerable amount to virgin every month and the kits included. They should sort or I’ll have to look elsewhere; 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Philorton7 wrote:

Thanks for your points, it’s definitely WiFi.. I’d rather not have to buy more kit when I’m paying a considerable amount to virgin every month and the kits included. They should sort or I’ll have to look elsewhere; 

it's an understandable position - and based on the fact that you're on a hub2, you're eligible for a free upgrade to the hub3 though I wouldn't expect this to fix your wifi woes - if you browse this forum for 10 - 15 mins you'll see plenty of complaints about wifi performance from hub3..

That said, if you're on an "Ultimate Oomph" package then you may want to consider it as VM are now supplying Wifi Pods (which is their entry into wifi mesh networking and replaces the boosters).  They are only compatible with the hub3+4 and are provided free to people on the gig or ultimate oomph packages.. if you aren't eligible for a free one, then they cost £5 per month and you're better off spending that money on a router of your own.

If you're out of contract and think you'll get a better service/device from a different ISP (and you definitely will from some of them) then that's always an option. recommend that you take a look at the top-right quadrant from this website and be prepared to pay a bit more - but be happy with the fact that when you call, they'll answer quickly and deal with your support queries in a professional manner.. 

Philorton7
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I have just rechecked and I am on hub 3 so hopefully can get some new kit that you mention. Thank you

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Philorton7 wrote:

Thanks. I have just rechecked and I am on hub 3 so hopefully can get some new kit that you mention. Thank you

just to save you an hour waiting on-hold trying to order a pod, they are currently out of stock with the most recent information from around here being that they will be back in stock at the end of this month/beginning of next.. 

the only way to order them is by phone, though you might wanna give it another week or so.