Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband periodically dropping for several hours

Unfortunately I am having a nightmare trying to resolve my internet issues.

My broadband keeps cutting out periodically for several hours every couple days. During these cutoff hours I basically have no internet capabilities as it's connecting and disconnecting every few seconds. I am currently working from home and unable to do so without an active internet connection which is making this extremely difficult.

I have checked the local service status and no reported issues in this area, further backed up by the fact that my neighbours Virgin WiFi is visible when mine isn't.

I have also tried tried the general troubleshooting advice given of rebooting/resetting hub, checking cables etc and unable to find any issues.I of course also ran the online test which just states "we're trying to sort it for you"

The lights that are on on my hub is just the white on at the bottom and it's steady. No other lights come on aside from when the hub has been reset or restarted.

I installed an extension called "Internet connection log" on my Chrome browser, which states I have disconnected 87 times in the past 24hours. A day ago I had 0 disconnects and that was the day I didn't have any issues.

I have tried calling virgin multiple times, but I never seem to be able to speak to a person as it always says it's putting me on hold only then to say lines are too busy due to COVID and to seek help online, as if that wasn't my initial way to resolve this.

I have pasted below my route status from the router firmware which will hopefully aid in troubleshooting this issue. I would really appreciate any help/suggestions as soon as possible as this is really hindering both my work and personal life.

Cable Modem Status
Item Status Comments
Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Provisioning State

Downstream bonded channels
Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID
1 203000000 -10 37 256 qam 9

Downstream bonded channels
Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
1 Locked 37.6 216 1900

Upstream bonded channels
Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID
1 39400000 5.275 5120 64 qam 2

Upstream bonded channels
Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts
1 ATDMA 0 0 0 0

General Configuration
Network access
Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs
Baseline Privacy
Enabled
DOCSIS Mode
Docsis30
Config file

Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID 45772
Max Traffic Rate 230000061
Max Traffic Burst 42600
Min Traffic Rate 0

Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID 45771
Max Traffic Rate 22000061
Max Traffic Burst 42600
Min Traffic Rate 0
Max Concatenated Burst 42600
Scheduling Type BestEffort

Network Log

Time Priority Description

13/09/2020 22:36:13criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:35:50criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:35:22criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:34:24criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:30:43criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:30:43criticalUnicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:30:43criticalRanging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:30:17criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:30:17criticalUnicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:30:17criticalRanging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:29:59criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:28:35Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:28:30criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:28:14Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:28:12criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:26:50Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:26:50criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:26:36Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:26:36criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/09/2020 22:26:25Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband periodically dropping for several hours

Most of your Downstream & Upstream Channels are missing and you will need an engineer visit to get them back.

You can contact VM to report the problem using ...

Text service on 07533051809

150 from Virgin landline.

0345 454 1111 from any other UK  phone.

The best time to call is weekdays 08:00 to get a UK agent, anything after 10:00 you must realise that you are quite likely to get through to an offshore agent that doesn't speak English as a first language.

Or you can wait on here for one of the VM Staff to pick up the thread but this may take a few days.

Also

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying! 

I think the Downstream and Upstream Channels only go missing when my connection has dropped, I don't know if that's what's causing the connection to drop or whether that's the result of the connection dropping. Currently my internet is ok but you can see the drops I am talking about in the BQM that I did create in the middle of the dropout yesterday. Dropout started around 6 p.m yesterday but I read about possibly creating a BQM a bit later. 

My BQM  

Regarding contacting VM, I have tried the text service with no response, and calling the number which I attempted several times during this dropout and the previous ones. My call seems to end before I can even speak to a VM representative so seems basically impossible to get in touch with them about this. Finally I have just got through to someone who seemed very helpful and arranged the first available technician on Wednesday. Will try and update this with further info on what the issues were and if it has been resolved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey patep023,

I have been able to look into your account and can see that you've had an engineer visit in the last few days.

I can see the notes from the engineer of the reasons why your services had been bad and what he has done to resolve this. How have your services been since the visit?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steve,

I have been meaning to post an update. For info, the engineer installed a booster, checked the splitter within my apartment building which showed a higher than average loss, and I believe also boosted the signal from the green box. He explained that my downstream/upstream channels were getting out of the "dBmV" range, over 10 for downstream and over 52 i think for upstream. The changes he did helped keep them below those value and I have had mostly stable internet since.

I have been monitoring the "dBmV" for the channels, and my highest downstream channel gets to 9 which is awfully close to 10 and hence potentially losing internet. I checked with other friends that are with Virgin broadband and their values are closer to 3 which is quite far away from 10. I am conscious that my values may go back up over 10 for the downstream channels and therefore losing connectivity again. Upstream looks ok at max of 46. 

My experience with the engineer was really positive, the engineer was very helpful and clearly explained the issues and what he was doing. From my understanding he did as much as he could to improve connectivity on his end, if further improvements needs to be made it'd require booking engineers that manage the virgin infrastructure in that area and make changes? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us @patep023

Sorry for the delay in our response. 

I'm glad the experience you had with the engineer was positive and it sounds like the engineer let you know what he was doing. 

If things do happen to drop again then we can continue to have another look as well as sending another engineer where needed so do keep us updated. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos