Menu
Rld80
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband outages

Hi there

I'm an existing customer who can't get through to speak to someone on the phone.

I'm working from home due to the pandemic and my Internet drops out frequently. This is especially notifiable when my son is on a live v ideo lesson on google classroom on another device.  My laptop which is further away from router than his device always loses out and the connection drops which makes it impossible to work. I cannot move closer to router as my study is upstairs. I cannot get on 5g only 2g connection. I think I need some type of signal booster device or new router. I cannot speak to anyone at Virgin so they can sort out. Help required.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband outages

@Rld80 wrote:

Hi there

I'm an existing customer who can't get through to speak to someone on the phone.

I'm working from home due to the pandemic and my Internet drops out frequently. This is especially notifiable when my son is on a live v ideo lesson on google classroom on another device.  My laptop which is further away from router than his device always loses out and the connection drops which makes it impossible to work. I cannot move closer to router as my study is upstairs. I cannot get on 5g only 2g connection. I think I need some type of signal booster device or new router. I cannot speak to anyone at Virgin so they can sort out. Help required.

how is your son's connection for google classroom? Does it work ok?

The recommendation from people here will be to buy a better router/mesh system to sort your wifi out, but before you do that it's worth making sure that it's just a wifi problem.. start by setting up a BQM - this will graph the performance of your connection (as seen from the outside) over time and give us an idea of whether or not it's stable..

If it is stable, then you can consider buying a wifi system that better meets your needs..  

0 Kudos
Rld80
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My sons link to Google classroomcon another laptop is fine. Seems he wins out as he's closer to router than me in the study upstairs?

The thing i need to know is what can Virgin do to help their customers out with this. Surely they have signal booster packs they can send to people struggling and/or upgrade the router.

I can't get through on the phone which is why I'm asking on here if people have received help from virgin media and how they did it.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Rld80 wrote:

My sons link to Google classroomcon another laptop is fine. Seems he wins out as he's closer to router than me in the study upstairs?

The thing i need to know is what can Virgin do to help their customers out with this. Surely they have signal booster packs they can send to people struggling and/or upgrade the router.

I can't get through on the phone which is why I'm asking on here if people have received help from virgin media and how they did it.

for customers on teh gig service, or ultimate oomph package, virgin will supply a wifi pod free of charge - for everyone else, they come at a cost of £5 per month. this isn't great value, but worth trying for free if you are eligible.

at the moment though, they are out of stock - estimates of mid-feb/early march for new stock to arrive. 

if you don't qualify for a freebie, then you're better off spending some money on your own wifi solution. 

0 Kudos
Rld80
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get through on phone! They are going to send me out a superhub 3.0 as I'm currently on 2.0 and they said the former has better range. Not sure if you think it will help?

They also confirmed £5 per month for the booster. I'm not tech savvy so would you recommend any 3rd party WiFi boosters/pod that would also help? I have no idea where to start on that.

Thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't say the hub3 will be better, no.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Rld80 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get through on phone! They are going to send me out a superhub 3.0 as I'm currently on 2.0 and they said the former has better range. Not sure if you think it will help?

They also confirmed £5 per month for the booster. I'm not tech savvy so would you recommend any 3rd party WiFi boosters/pod that would also help? I have no idea where to start on that.

Thanks

Unlikely the hub 3 will make much difference, but you might as well wait and see.

as for alternatives, depends on budget, number of connected devices, size of property etc.. this usually gets a good write-up around here tho. 

0 Kudos