cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband off-line between 04:00 and 06:00

wardworld
Tuning in

Hi forum,

I have multiple devices connected to the Internet 24/7 such as a weather station, fire Angel interconnected fire alarm system, ring alarm, and others. At 4am I get emails saying these devices are offline then at 6am I get emails saying they are back online. All devices are hard wired so this isn't a WiFi issue. I think I have a hub 3 and I can't see any setting that would stop the hub working every day at 4am. I've not managed to drag myself out of bed at 4am to do checks so was wondering if anyone has any ideas what could be causing this. 

Many thanks, 

Paul

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

Does the Hub3's Network log show entries for that time in the mornings ?

From the Hub's menu (don't login): 

Check router status >>> Network Log

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Probably VM maintenance or fault rectification. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks, I'll take a look when I'm home.

Hi @wardworld 

Welcome back o the community forums

Sorry to hear that your having issues with your connections between 4am - 6pm. 

Just checking in to see if you were able to check to see the cause of these disconnection at your side? 

Are you running any 3rd party networking equipment at all such as switches or a third party router?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thanks, I have been away from home but got back yesterday, I plugged 2 devices directly into the hub3 and they did not lose connection so I think it could be either a network switch (unlikely) or the SamKnows broadband analyser that's causing it.

Thanks for your help.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

This is going to be an increasingly common problem, as more people invest in smart home devices. 

The manufacturers carefully avoid mentioning that they will go offline during broadband dropouts or failures.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

To be fair the fire alarm and home security system have battery backup and mobile network backup so if power or just Internet fails they are still functional. The weather station has a UPS but no mobile data backup but it's not vital that that remains functional. 

I would only buy critical smart devices if they had battery and mobile network backup.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Very sensible of you. Others are not so thoughtful. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened @wardworld and thank you for popping back to us. I've been unable to locate your account to check on our side, so I'm going to pop you a PM so we can grab some information and take a look.

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.