cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband local update

Schnoodles
Joining in

After broadband works done yesterday Thu 20/4 in Cambridge (CB1 3PU) my 3 smart TVs (2 LG, 1 Panasonic) will no longer connect to the internet. They can link to the router but the DNS server does not allocate an IP address, despite rebooting router & TV twice. 

Strangely, my Samsung mobile has had no interruption and my Humax FTP-5000 PVR has also reconnected after router was rebooted!

What the hell is going on as Freeview & Netflix streaming is now unavailable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for confirming this @Schnoodles 

Please can you try a 60 second pin hole reset on the router. This will revert any customisations back to factory settings and full update the router with firmware/software updates. Please do not reboot the router whilst it is completing the pin hole request. 

If possible on your smart TV's can you also make sure that their software's are fully up to date and try reconnecting to the network after the 60 second pin hole reset. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello Schnoodles, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.

I am vey sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your TV's connecting to the Hub following the recent work in your area. 

We have checked from our side and can confirm there are currently no issues impacting your area and your Hub is running within specification. 

On the devices, are you able to forget the WiFi connection and then repair them?

Thanks, 

Nat

Schnoodles
Joining in

No, Natalie, I have refreshed all my passwords, forgotten & reconfigured my 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz phone, PVR & TV connections and I just get "failed to obtain IP address".

This problem has never occurred before on my 10+yr hub (v.2) and any interruption was always restored by a mains reboot, only required every 10 days or so. All 6 devices were working perfectly up to the evening of 20/4 with ~130Mbs on 5Ghz connection & ~50Mbs on 2.4Ghz.

Now I can, strangely, reconnect only my Samsung mobile by rebooting the router but as soon as I leave the house connection is not restored until another reboot, and no other device ever reconnects! This only happened within hours of the official engineering work by Virgin on Thursday so has to be connected.

Thank you for confirming this @Schnoodles 

Please can you try a 60 second pin hole reset on the router. This will revert any customisations back to factory settings and full update the router with firmware/software updates. Please do not reboot the router whilst it is completing the pin hole request. 

If possible on your smart TV's can you also make sure that their software's are fully up to date and try reconnecting to the network after the 60 second pin hole reset. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Schnoodles
Joining in

I have now done long-reset the Hub 2 router, and after logging into Admin Settings on my mobile I managed to re-establish my old passwords but as soon as I tried to log on with another device (yes all software updated) I lost my mobile connection and got the old message "Unable to obtain IP address".

I have just received a new Hub 3 router from Virgin technical help but after 3 bootups, and a text-prompted call to technical help again, the new router remains in "orange" mode and does not display any Wifi name so I unplugged it.

However, on reconnecting my original Hub 2, my mobile has reconnected on 2.4Ghz (I dare not try the 5Ghz band) AND I managed to reconnect both my Humax PVR and LG OLED TV, without reimputting the Wifi password. I dare not try any more devices yet, but the mobile has reconnected after a long walk with the dog, so all good news, but simply inexplicable, and it may collapse again at any moment.

Hi Schnoodles, thanks for the message. 

The new hub should be activated on delivery but sometimes there is an issue with this and we need to do this for you. 

It looks this has been activated, can you confirm if you are still having issues with this? ^Chris.