Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Broadband keeps going down

Hi, wondering if somebody could help. Had a fresh install on 6th June, broadband keeps going down randomly once or twice a day. We had virgin media technicians come look at the router on 19th June, they didn’t do much to be honest. The technician looked at the box, said it was displaying the correct symbols and said the wiring on the box was fine and left. This is getting really frustrating now. Ive tried calling up to book another technician but the automated machine says lines are closed as its a Sunday. Does anybody know of any fixes for this? The router displays flashing green arrows and the bottom light is solid green, the wifi symbol is also solid green. I’m pretty sure something is wrong with the wiring or the cables outside the house or the router itself is faulty and we need a different router, but when I told the technician this he was pretty patronising about my suggestion.

Can anybody help at all? Whenever I call up the people on the other end of the phone are pretty useless and make me go through the standard troubleshooting process, which never works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband keeps going down

Use a browser to connect to the Hub on 192.168.0.1

On the front page, click on "Check Router Status".

Click on each of the tabs Downstream, Upstream, Network Log.

For each one, copy the data shown and paste it on here, Copy and past the text, don't take screenshots as they may take a while to be cleared.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to me

Please see below

Downstream

Downstream bonded channels

Channel

Frequency (Hz)

Power (dBmV)

SNR (dB)

Modulation

Channel ID

256 qam

Downstream bonded channels

Channel

Locked Status

RxMER (dB)

Pre RS Errors

Post RS Errors

Upstream

Upstream bonded channels

Channel

Frequency (Hz)

Power (dBmV)

Symbol Rate (ksps)

Modulation

Channel ID

Upstream bonded channels

Channel

Channel Type

T1 Timeouts

T2 Timeouts

T3 Timeouts

T4 Timeouts

Network Log

21/06/2020 16:55:55criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:55:51Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:51:35criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:51:33Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:45:26criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:45:25Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:40:16criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:40:14Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:34:20criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:34:19Warning!B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:28:54criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:28:8criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:23:50criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;21/06/2020 16:23:46Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

That shows you have virtually no connection to the network.

Check the the coax connections between the Hub and the wall are tight. If they are OK then the fault is outside and it's going to need an engineer visit.

I know you've tried before but call again just after 8am and insist on an engineer visit.

If you are lucky, a VM person might pick this up before then and offer to help arrange it.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

only crap you shouldn;t even have a connection at all with a signal like that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help.

I will have to book another engineer visit and Virgin probably wont have one available until the end of the week.

The ‘engineer’ that came over the other day was adamant the issue was not to do with wiring/cables. Whats the point of having an ‘engineer’ come to the house if they’ll just see the internet is back up and leave again? How can I actually prove to them there is a real issue? Also how would you suggest I deal with the ‘engineers’ if they tell me again that there isn’t any issue? If this issue isn’t fixed next week I’d have to rebook another appointment again.

I just want stable internet connection and going another week with these issues is going to be difficult. Currently working from home so this is a real pain. I could live without stable internet for a week if we werent in the middle of a global pandemic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I’m not the most knowledgable when it comes to these router logs. Could you highlight exactly what part of the log is telling me I shouldnt have a connection? Where does it show my signal?

Thank You

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@sr43110 wrote:

Sorry I’m not the most knowledgable when it comes to these router logs. Could you highlight exactly what part of the log is telling me I shouldnt have a connection? Where does it show my signal?

Thats the point - its showing virtually no data.  Look on this board for other posts with examples of the data you should see.  In the meantime try a pinhole reset of the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Instead of the one downstream channel there should be 20.

If they give you grief on the phone, call again and follow the prompts to 'thinking of leaving us'. That should get you to a UK person who will be more help. There is most definitely a serious fault and they should be fixing it without delay.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I’ll have to sort this tomorrow as the lines are currently closed. What are the chances its a wiring problem? I’m more than happy to follow the cables outside the house and make sure they’re properly connected. Also do any Virgin Media employees check these forums? Would really appreciate any further help on this issue.

I dont understand how I can have no connection at all, when I’ve been connected previously today? The broadband goes down pretty much every day between 3pm-7pm and then back up again around 9-10pm

0 Kudos