Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broadband keeps dropping in Area 20 - 73% over utilised

Hi, I've been having a serious broadband issues since at least 2019, where the broadband keeps dropping altogether and I have to keep restarting the router to get back online. Since before the lockdown, this got even worst especially in the evenings, and since after the lockdown it's unusable where after I restart the router, internet could last as short as 2 minutes before it dies again. Another restart, 2 more minutes minutes, and it's gone again. And again. So on numerous occasions I had to abort doing what I was doing and pick it up in the in the morning. 

Since 2019, this is what I've tried but all failed: 

- upgraded broadband speed from 100 to 350 MB/s 
- Virgin sent me a replacement router 
- I bough my own WiFi 6 Asus router and use virgin in modem mode
- engineer came out to fix signal issue (signal was too high)

On the last visit (7 May 2020), the engineer phoned VM technical support line who said that my area (Manchester, Area 20) is 73% overutilised!!! Apparently 3, 4 % is normal, 10% can bring people issues and we're 73% overutilised!!! So there was nothing the engineer could do to fix the issue apart from suggesting going to a competitor. 

He raised a ticket for this issue on my behalf, but now I'm stuck on an online chat. The other Monday, trying to book an engineer, I spent 4 hours waiting because every hour, the chat would start over and I'd have to explain the same problem to a new web chat agent who would insist on transferring me - after which the circle would start all over again as no-one would answer and after some time, the chat would start over.

I hope Virgin are monitoring this forum and can contact me back. I have a ticket number but don't want to share it on here. I understand that this issue may not have an easy fix but I've waster a lot of time and money on a disappointingly temperamental service, so I'd appreciate someone's assistance soon.

Many thanks
Greg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband keeps dropping in Area 20 - 73% over utilised

Hi, can you PM me your account number and area reference and ill have a look for you

Regards

Rich

Send Me a PM!

Here to help! I'm a Field Technician helping out from home. Find out more
REFER A FRIEND AND SHARE £100 BETWEEN YOU

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sent 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So 

Rich said that the ticket was only raised for upstream noise, so when I questioned over-utilisation, it has then beed added onto the ticket.

I was told that work was scheduled to fix both problems by 27 May. I don't understand how over-utilisation can be fixed so quickly as the engineer who came to visit suggested that this is a major problem and not an easy fix. But the conversation went dead. 

I asked if someone from Virgin can phone me to discuss this issue as well as a refund of some cost because of the poor service I've been enduring since 2019 but Rich didn't put me through to anyone. 

I also asked for an update on the works - but again, silence! 😞 

Can someone from Virgin please finally help with this?

Thanks

Greg 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm also in area 20 and the week before last and this week, every day at some point between 14:20 to 15:30 both tv and broadband goes down, this can last for 20-60mins then it all comes back on and is ok again, happening every single day, frustrating, normally wouldn't see it but as working from home during the week this is a major inconvenience and it is also happening at weekends too could someone from virgin please let us know what's going on ? 

Sorry for jumping on your post Greg but as it's the same area code thought it to be relevant  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Area codes are for billing purposes only.

A city that shares my same area code is over 150 miles away from me. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks didn't realise 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes it’s always best to post part of your post code, like xx0 9, but do not post FULL post code.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, i mentioned in my original post that I’m based in Manchester, Area 20. If it helps to narrow the area down, I’m based in Ancoats / New Islington (M4).

Hope this helps. 

ps. I still haven’t heard from anyone from Virgin about the ticket they raised... 

Greg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Fixing over utilisation costs money and if they are not going to get more customers by doing it (to pay for it) I doubt they'll do it quickly as that investment then doesn't give you a good return... 

Once people leave the remaining people will have good service. A friend near Birmingham was on a 100mb package and when the engineer installed his service they said it was over utilised then. At peak times he could get as low as 20mbps but during the day 80 to 100. So he cancelled within the first 14 days. 

0 Kudos