Menu
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband keeps disconnecting, "customer service" kafkaesque

I get what you're saying - problem is with WiFi; there are so many factors that can influence performance:

House construction
Physical objects in the way
RF noise in the way (TV, Microwave, Phone etc)
Other, more powerful routers on the same channel as your (underpowered) VM hub.

To guarantee wifi - you'd need a full site survey of every install!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

GuyN
Tuning in
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Credit where credit is due, my problem now seems to be resolved: after months of frequent wifi dropouts, it's now fixed. I don't know what Virgin did (and it was certainly a 4-hour nightmare trying to talk to them). But they must have done something, because now we have continuous wifi throughout the day. That's confirmed by Broadband Quality Monitor (something weird happens around 2AM, it was big red spikes the previous night, but that's hardly a problem)...

Picture1.png 

On the wider issue: yes I get that wifi transmission throughout the house is complex and can't be considered Virgin's responsibility... it's the customer's responsibility to position the hub correctly, buy boosters if required, etc etc. BUT I don't think Virgin's responsibility ends with signal entering house: there should also be a good and continuous signal emitted from the hub, and if that's not happening (as I think was my case) then I consider it to be Virgin's responsibility. But anyway, in this case they've somehow fixed the issue, so thank you Virgin, appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Morning @GuyN

Thanks very much for updating us and glad this has been fixed for you. 

I can appreciate this was a long process but glad it has been sorted 

If you do have any further issues, please do let me know and I am more than happy to help you. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
GuyN
Tuning in
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I spoke too soon. The problem continues. The promised call from Virgin Media's technical team never came. If you read this Sasha, any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Guy,

Thanks for coming back to us, I have had a look our end and cannot see any issues at all, I have run diagnostics also and nothing has been picked up, it has advised for you to try  try a pin reset on the Router just to rule out a software issue, first check all the internal connections are hand tight then push a pin/ paper clip in the back of the Router where it says reset, push in until you feel it press then hold in for a timed 1 Minute, do not reboot during or after and allow 15 Minutes to settle afterwards? 

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
GuyN
Tuning in
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply Paul. Yes, I've done exactly what you describe. Then it works, for a while. But sometime in the next 24 hours it'll likely go down again. As it stands, I have to pin reboot every day.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I can see before I advised to do this the Router hadn't been rebooted or pin reset for at least 7 days so maybe it wasn't pressed in for the full 1 Minute as advised, now you have done this please run the BQM for the next 72 Hours.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos