Menu
GuyN
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Broadband keeps disconnecting, "customer service" kafkaesque

My broadband (M200, Hub 3.0) disconnects several times a day, requiring reboot. It's being going on for months. I spent nearly 4 hours on chat trying to resolve this. Eventually I got through to someone from the technical team, who said he couldn't find any fault so problem solved, bye. But not solved. What should I do when Virgin simply ignores my complaint and considers it resolved when it isn't? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
GuyN
Joining in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband keeps disconnecting, "customer service" kafkaesque

Complaint refs C-0906211659 and C-0906211963. Don't ask me why two different refs, it's the same complaint as far as I'm concerned.

[Why kafkaesque? Imagine repeatedly contacting a live agent, who takes all you security details and asks for a description of the issue, then says they can't help and need to put you in touch with technical team; so they connect you with a bot which eventually connects you with a live agent, who takes all your security details and asks for a description of the issue, then says they can't help and need to put you in touch with technical team. Repeat about 10 times. When I eventually DID talk to someone from technical team, they did all the tests, said no problem, I said "wait", he hung up. Then back to the circular process above.]

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Wired or wireless devices?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
GuyN
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Wireless. Though also happens with the Virgin TV, which is wired. Thank you Gary.

[The last response I received from the technical agent - before he simply ignored me and closed the chat - was "we did not find any issues from our end however due to the equipment being used in the home means different devices may have different Wifi settings, which can cause congestion on the network that is why we recommend to use wired connection wherever possible". I really have no idea what this means: it seems to suggest that Virgin considers we should connect our laptops and phones with cables.]

0 Kudos
GuyN
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Gary, as far as I can see my laptop doesn't even have an ethernet port, I'm not sure how I can test wired connection.

Virgin Media team, are you able to respond to this? What am I meant to do, just accept frequent disconnection? From posts on this forum, it appears to be a very common problem. I mean, we pay for a wifi hub don't we? As opposed to a system that requires everything to be connected by cables.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can always connect ethernet - you may need to get an ethernet to USB socket:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00M77HMU0

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

GuyN
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Lotharmat, appreciate that. I'm fuming that I have to spend money and time to resolve this myself, but that's Virgin's fault not yours, really appreciate that you took time to reply.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin do not guarantee Wifi speeds or connectivity (and it's stability).

I hardwire everything that I can and only have on Wifi what absolutely must.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
GuyN
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary. I realise that Virgin Media's T&C's try to evade responsibility for everything (as if a car manufacturer said "we don't actually guarantee that it'll work"). But I can't imagine that's legally binding, given marketing promises like "Our fastest, most reliable WiFi ever, due to enhanced WiFi signal from Hub". Beats me how Ofcom allows this. The power of capital in 21st century Britain, I guess... revolving doors, etc etc etc.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@GuyN wrote:

Thanks Gary. I realise that Virgin Media's T&C's try to evade responsibility for everything (as if a car manufacturer said "we don't actually guarantee that it'll work"). But I can't imagine that's legally binding, given marketing promises like "Our fastest, most reliable WiFi ever, due to enhanced WiFi signal from Hub". Beats me how Ofcom allows this. The power of capital in 21st century Britain, I guess... revolving doors, etc etc etc.

Because every household is different for wifi to work - there is no "one size fits all" when talking about wifi.

0 Kudos