Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broadband - keep losing wifi - many devices

I did a factory rest a couple of weeks ago, and I moved the router about 3 days ago

It is particularly noticeable across Amazon echos (Alexa) and FireTV, across 2.4 & 5. The 2.4 network is currently showing as “not in range”

It’s so inconsistent that I’m now looking for alternative suppliers, esp as V support by phone is really poor. In the meantime, does it look as though I need a new or updated router, or is there a better fix? Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband - keep losing wifi - many devices

Moved the router how?

Did you use the Virgin supplied Coax cable?

Is it just Wifi that's disconnecting or do wired devices do it as well?

And lastly what hub model do you currently have?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I just moved it further away from TV and solid wall. Unplug - move - plug in.

Problems were arising before that move, and have got no better since.

Hub3. No problems with wired.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK

Have you disabled the "Smart" wifi and split the wifi bands, changed to less congested channels etc?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what you mean by smart WiFi, but I use main channel for 5, and set up a new one for 2.4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi KevMcp, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Very sorry for the Wi-Fi issues you've been having and for the delay in getting in touch. 

Due to the delay can I ask if you're still having issues now? 

I have had a look into the back end of things and it is showing some recent device instability but it also doesn't show any devices connected. 

Please let us know how you're getting on so we can help further if needed.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan

Thanks for getting back to me. Here are some observations:

Router is still being erratic. Right now, I have no wifi, as the router seems to have restarted itself (this is worrying, as I have an online interview next week (no work since April!))

I’m surprised you found nothing connected. We usually have a a desktop, but it has been having connectivity problems (DNS server, which I’m assuming relate to that device, not the router, but I could be wrong).

In summary, connections to router are no longer reliable. This has been going on for many weeks - should I ask for a new router?

Thanks again

Kev

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

Megan

Thanks for getting back to me. Here are some observations:

Router is still being very erratic. Right now, I have no wifi, as the router seems to have restarted itself (this is worrying, as I have an online interview next week (no work since April!))

I’m surprised you found nothing connected. We usually have a a desktop, but it has been having connectivity problems (DNS server, which I’m now thinking is a related problem).

In summary, connections to router are no longer reliable. This has been going on for many weeks - I think I just need a new router?

Thanks again

0 Kudos