Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband issues

Iv been having problems for a few years now with my broadband. I am supposed to have 200mbs or higher but after months of testing, my average is below 25 with the lowest being under 3 mbps. YES under 3. I have to connect my fire stick to my phone to watch anything. I got a new router about 2 years ago which didn’t resolve it. I have contacted virgin numerous times to which iv been ignored. I have put up with this shocking broadband for years because it’s a hassle trying to get anyone to help me or even want to resolve it. I have been very very patient and loyal.  I payed £130 pm for years but no longer will. Iv had enough now. Iv messaged more than 5 times and got no response. I have multiple pictures taken over 6 months showing. No connection, not in range, connection marginal etc etc. My neighbours signal 3 doors down Is showing stronger than mines. I am about to leave. I need all rewiring, the best router available and 2 boosters all done free before I will even consider staying. The football kicks off in August so if I haven’t heard from Virgin by then my package is getting cancelled 100% I have again sent in another complaint with my number attached. Virgin I am waiting for your call to resolve this once and for all. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband issues

WiFi isn't guaranteed as it's affected by many factors. The only thing that's guaranteed is the speed to your Virgin router. 

Please confirm the speed you are getting by using a proper category 6 ethernet cable direct to the back of the router and report back. 

Note that Virgin have 8 weeks to reply to your complaint. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your advise and response...I had virgin for 7 years with no issues. I left for 1 year and when I returned from the same house the issues where there. I have been trying to chase this up for over 2 years so they have had their 8 weeks and more. Also like you advised, I have been advised to do the Ethernet checks which I did do and still bad speeds. The advisor who took my call that day and advised me to do this, agreed my speed at his end was bad. He told me to contact them after 2 weeks of tests and I have contacted them at least 5 times since through the message service and got one response. To be told they were looking into it and would get back to me. Didn’t get another response.  I am not expecting this to be resolved in the slightest. Just giving them the option to try, and a heads up before I cancel. I never look for discounts or freebies and I’m not interested in saving money off them. All I want is my broadband to work. I’m sure iv payed way over £15k throughout the duration of my custom. Im not chasing it anymore. If they want to keep my custom they can do the work now. I will be leaving in the next three weeks. 
thanks again 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have you already told them you are leaving? As you need to give 30 days notice which is roughly 4 weeks. Once you get through to retentions they may well promise the earth if you agree to stay. If upto you if you trust them enough to sign a new contract on work that they may or may not do. 

If the slow speeds are down to utilisation issues then the best advice is to leave in all honesty, these kind of problems will almost never be fixed - they'll just keep pushing back a "review date" until sufficient people leave to let the problem no longer be there any more at which point they'll claim it as fixed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fiona,

I have had issues too, albeit not as bad as yours sound.  I used "thinkbroadband" website and set up a broadband quality monitor, which was useful to see what my broadband service is like.  My work colleague showed me his BQM graph from this website this morning, and it shows how awful my service is compared to his near perfect service.  No wonder he sings his praises about VM.

I helped my Dad sort out his netflix and he lives about a 10 min walk away, and his router and tv are side by side with ethernet cable - seems his broadband is the same as mine.  I have told him to try monitoring his service too.

Our broadband has been like this from October 2019, but speeds were fixed in March 2020 by an engineer that removed a filter off the back of the router.  So speeds are great - we do get 200Mbps, but it's not a stable connection.  We get disconnected from video chats regularly. 

Good luck with getting a resolution whatever it is.  For me, VM are going to try to fix the issue on 06/08.  I will see if this helps, if not I am throwing in the towel too. We also have been customers for a long time (since Ntlworld).  Can't say I haven't been patient.  I have tried every few months to resolve this issue with VM, but nothing has worked so far.

Kristina

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kristina, it’s so frustrating isn’t it? I do hope they sort it for you, but doubt it very much. Iv created an account with uswich which has a lot of offers. Give that a try if all else fails. 

take care ! 

0 Kudos