Menu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Broadband issues over last 11 months?

Today , thanks to an extraordinarily honest employee at Virgin, I found out why I have been having broadband issues over  the last four months, and why Virgin seemingly could not fix the issue. Since this will affect so many people I wanted to share this extraordinary tale. I am not a joiner, or even a complainer, but i joined this community just  to share this information. I will be sharing, with my transcript,  with the regulator. 

I have been a customer of Virgin for around 10 years and until the last 3 4 months had no problems. Then, without going into details, I had continual problems with Broadband, and phoned very regularly. They told me the modem was fine. Just keep re-starting. Day after day after day/...

Today, thanks to the extraordinary honesty of one Virgin employee- probably a man finally sick of lying for the compony- i found that (i) everyone had been lying to me for 3 months (ii) the reason that I, and many people here, had so many Broadband issues.

Basically, although everyone kept claiming my modem was working perfectly- it was defective. Why didn't they own up? The reason is simple. Virgin didn't have enough modems, for over a year and a half, and it would not buy more, so the company told its employees, do not to replace them. This obviously necessitated telling every call centre around the world, NOT to replace under almost any circumstances, and how to answer the issues. Basically to lie. Now looking back on my calls, it all made sense.

This is what happened each time: The operator would say 'I will get your modem replaced'. There would be a break of around 3-4 minutes, and then he/she would come back and say, 'it's not a problem with the modem' (it turns out it was!) 'try to keep re-starting' . This went on, day after day.

They lied to us! All of us, apparently, I heard that as well, in great detail.  Moreover, they also used  the excuse that they could not send out an engineer- when every other company was sending out engineers. (Broadband counted as essential service - and we are teachers) 

Write to the regulator, this is a serious legal breach, not just a failure of service!

Edit Delete

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband issues over last 11 months?

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with your broadband for so long. Please be assured that our staff would never lie to customers- it is our job to help resolve any issues as soon as we possibly can.

I am going to pop you a PM now so we can grab some account info and discuss this further.  

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I am afraid whatever you say , what I have described is absolutely correct. in fact even though the modem continued to read 'red', and amber for wifi , the person i was speaking to, was, and i quote, 'not allowed'; to send out a modem, even though mine was definitely defective. (remember will receive the transcripts of these conversations) SO I repeat - the call centres have been told what say to customers. Furthermore when I finally asked the question ' you surely must see a lot of this then ?' the reply was well "customers ring to cancel the contract, saying that Virgin is telling them there is nothing wrong with their modem, and yes, I can see it's defective" 
I have no idea what a PM is, but you truly have disappeared.

Andrew_W15
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I believe this to be true, given my awful experience with Virgin Media for over a year now. I have yet to start my own thread but noticed this one. Basically we are treated like idiots. I spent the entire year being disconnected randomly from the Hub 3 (green flashing lights, green solid lights etc) So I check the cables, reboot the Hub (which never works) then I pinhole reset (sometimes twice as it doesn't always work) then it fixes itself for a short while then drops either a few hours later or the following day, this went on for weeks. After some digging around I found out how bad the Hub 3 actually is so I bought my own router and split the 2g and 5g signals this worked for about a week but I was still getting the same green light hub issue. Then I put the Hub 3 into modem mode but again this did not work either. When I called virgin media they detected a fault on the line so sent a team to install a new outside line into the home which we thought would fix the issue, it fixed it for about a week then it went down again. I keep having to redo my network either daily, every few days or each week. When I check my local area it says there is no issue, it's never been down. When I call Virgin Media customer service after all this the man over the phone decided to just rudely argue with me and demanded I just reset the Hub as that will sort the issue clearly he told me that because was stumped as the only other thing that needs sorting is the Hub 3. It has never been looked at by an engineer and never been replaced. So yes i believe staff are telling lies to customers especially when we have tried everything under the sun to sort the issue. 

Sofia_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us @Anonymous. 

A PM is a private message, which Ayisha_B has already sent over. 

Please respond there so we can assist you further. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
risc19
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Recently I'm 100% that I have been given conflicting information from various support employees about the same issue.

You could call that lying, or you could call it incompetence, or just fobbing people off.

Personally I think they have been told to withhold specific information about the network, or parts of it at least.

And after all of it I'm still sat here with exactly the same issues as when I started.

My Broadband Ping - 1GIG HUB4 Router mode

HUB4 1Gig Router mode
Andrew_W15
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Exactly!

I've created a topic about my issue and so far no VM staff have responded. Today I had someone attempting to look at it but he doesn't work for VM.

During me following his steps on setting up broadband monitors etc I ended up having the Hub 3 go down yet again. Took me 45 mins just to get back online and I even called VM to check and see that I'm telling the truth! But they put me on hold for 10 minutes then cut the call off.

It's frustrating as hell trying to sort this when they could easily just send an engineer round to check the equipment and replace it. 

given that they don't and conveniently ignore our posts here it does point to them fobbing customers off like you quite rightly said.

Kind regards

Andrew

0 Kudos
asim18
Dialled in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

"Please be assured that our staff would never lie to customers"

As a VM customer of over 10 years I can confirm VM staff has lied to me many many many many times. It's almost pathological.

The most recent barrage of lies was when I finally switched to Vodafone.

Virgin told me it's impossible to get my monthly charge below £29 to match Vodafone, they told me the it's impossible for any VM customer to be paying less than £45. (lie)
One week after signing up to Vodafone I get a call from Virgin begging me to come back and they'll match the £29.

I tell him it's too late now because I've already signed up to Vodafone. He tells me "it's never too late" and to just cancel Vodafone within 14 days and they'll get my services back no problem (lie). Another lie because it's now been 3 months and my phone number is now lost thanks to Virgin forgetting to reclaim the number from Vodafone. (desperate for money but not desperate to do things properly) and I've been without a phone line for 3 months and Virgin seems to have absolutely no clue how to get my phone number back.

I called the other day and a lady told me she'll send me a new (lie) modem with a built in phone socket and that will definitely get my phone line back for me (potential lie). I've just received the "new" modem but it's an old broken modem with pieces of packaging material lodged inside the modem. The modem is completely old and has items rattling around inside it and doesn't even power on! They've not sent a New modem, they've sent me a Fire hazard.

I also highly doubt a new modem will magically get my phone number back but we will see. I am willing to bet that that's another lie.

So that's 3 definite lies and 1 potential lie in the space of a few months. Therefore your statement that "Please be assured that our staff would never lie to customers" is also a lie sadly.
asim18
Dialled in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Also If you have been lied to by Virgin Media please inform the regulators Ofcom and/or Advertising Standards Agency.

Phrases like "Please be assured that our staff would never lie to customers" just cement a culture of lies.

Instead of investigating possible lies, they just blanket refuse to accept that a Virgin Employee is even capable of lying.

Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi asim18

Thank you for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced, this is not the level of service we expect to deliver and we would want to do all we can to assist. 

I see you have recently been speaking with a colleague via private message but to address your concerns with the phoneline and Hub we will need to send you another message. I'll pop this over to you now and we can go from there. 

Speak soon, 

Nat
0 Kudos