Menu
DamianB
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Broadband is a joke

Right so, I am with virgin since June and first few months everything was relatively smooth with few down times, sometimes twice per month. But that what is happening last month is one big joke. My broadband connection is going down few times per week and sometimes even few times per day. Also it is very intermittent, 4 days straight I can have 110mb/s so my full speed and then another 3 days from 8 to 20 mb/s (still interrupted by down times). I tried to reach technical team twice, once waiting 5h on chat and another time 7h, all of that to hear that everything seems to be fine, no reports no issues, also I was told that this is my fault as probably I have my wifi devices too far from my hub. Just will say that all of my setup is exactly the same since June, so how it can be too far having 110mbs and next hour 8mb/s? And we are not talking about any downloads or uploads, it is happening while remote work and watching some yt video in the background, everyday of year 2020 situation. So any support from virgin is useless, even the first guy said that this is the issue from their side and I need to hang on this chat another 4h, but no idea for what, also when I said that the chat will be closed cause it was like 7PM, this guy assured that technical team is up to 11PM, where its clearly said they are working up to 10PM. I was literally fooled and rid of, to not bothering this professional service guy, no help chat ever before treated me like that, unacceptable.

Also sent 2 complaint emails but without any results or answers.

Also when router was down or slow I tried to change it to modem mode and check it straight by Ethernet cable without any results, wanted to be sure its nothing linked to my far away WiFi devices as advised by professional technical team.

I can clearly see this is an issue from broadband provider side.

I hope that anyone here will be able to help me or finally someone competent from Virgin will tell me what is going on.

I am worried that this is last place where I can find someone with answers as if not I will need to find another broadband provider as my work is related to having stable broadband connection.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband is a joke

What are your wired speeds and connectivity like?

Since VM do not (and have never) guaranteed WiFi speeds and connectivity, your complaint won't get very far.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
DamianB
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Everything is on the same page, if I have 8mbs its 8mbs everywhere, every device on cable or wifi. When internet is going down the Hub is loosing signal-connection. We are not talking here about a single device, but about whole internet connection. Dont know how to explain it even more clearly...

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So what speeds do you get from a wired device with a gigabit ethernet port using a CAT5e or better cable?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
DamianB
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Can I ask how does it relates to my issue? It is the same issue EVERYWHERE, if it slows down to 8mbs its roughly 8mbs everyhere. There is no one single value as the broadband is not stabe at all.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It relates because we need to ascertain whether it is purely a WiFi issue or not.

So..

What speeds do you get from a wired device with a gigabit ethernet port using a CAT5e or better cable?

DamianB
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

OK, let me answer even more simpliest. Right now I have 110 mb/s as thank god broadband is running fine. But few days back when was the massive drop it was roughly 8 - 16 mb/s, both on WiFi and cable.

Now, let me explain my issue more simple. Last 5 days my broadband speed on every wifi device I have and ethernet cable was 110-120mb/s, today around 11 AM my connection out of nowhere(same devices in the same places etc etc) started to working intermittent and down to 10mb/s and after 15 minutes of a going up and down 400kbps to 21mbs totally died, green leds on hub and no internet connection with next 4 hours. Meantime I was restarting hub few times, trying hub test and gods know what else, nothing was helping. After those 4h of nothing and green flashing lights, broadband slowly was going back to 110mbs and it is fine up to now. And can bet it will be fast and fine with 2-3 days max and I will have same frustrating issues again, cause it is happening over and over whole last month.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Next time it happens check the service status page for any area issues

DamianB
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Its always showing no issues, just the stupid connectivity guiadance after useless test. I am checking it whole last month and was nothing there.

0 Kudos
kpanchev
Dialled in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

As the issue is intermittent, it is very difficult to diagnose. You need to get a technician to check the signal levels, noise, interference, etc when it goes bad, but you cannot know when this will happen, with virgin's ridiculous call waits you can't just pick up the phone and call them when it happens... I think you need to ask them to check congestion levels in your area, any neighbouring issues, etc.

0 Kudos