Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband incredibly slow.

llucymay
Tuning in

D94DA2BF-E723-4945-B464-20A321690CCF.png

Hi,

I’m trying to write here because I’m desperate lately. I called Virgin multiple times, I had the technician at home, I had another chat with one of the operators they keep saying “Oh I see there is a problem I fixed that for you now just restart your hub and monitor it for 7 days”.

Since I activated Virgin here (north London) every evening after 11pm the connection just drops under 4 mbs (I have the 108mbps package and the minimum guaranteed is 15).

I’ve been going on for a couple of months because luckily at 11pm this doesn’t affect me too much except when I’m watching tv (virgin tv) and there is no way I can keep watching it even after the reboot.

Lately though, I started to have issues around 11.30am and since I’m working from home this is a huge problem for me. I called, no answer too busy. I chatted, same answer as above.

I’m really mad at them for the poor customer service provided but before proceeding on different ways (they are breaking the contract providing me a connection under the guaranteed speed) I would like to do anything I could to sort out the problem if it is on my end.

Any suggestion would be appreciated thank you 🙂

Attached tonight’s test, from my phone testing the wifi, no other devices connected, ethernet cable is the same but I did it with my phone to post it using the mobile connection.

11 REPLIES 11

Barrerayy
On our wavelength

This is going to sound really dumb but try using a VPN and connect to a server in London. Quite a few people on this forum have this exact issue in South London and the VPN workaround worked for us while we wait and hope VM fixes their mess.

Can you set up a BQM?

This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at ThinkBroadband (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi lotharmat,

thank you for your response. I’ve set up a BQM yesterday evening as suggested, here is the live link:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/c27961d5b80b8f6ed0fa6be84331ab44f37cd44b
I was trying to read the FAQ on how to interpret these but it’s not completely clear.
Anyway yesterday the connection was not 0.4 but around 15. Never goes over 50 (usually in the morning or around 4) unless I call VM and after the reset reaches 120 for 1h maximum then goes back to its usual speed. Let me know what you think.

Thank you

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @llucymay.

Thank you for posting on our community page, sorry for the issues that you are currently having.

I was able to locate your account using your forums page, I can see that your connected devices are suffering with low signal, could you try disconnecting all devices and reconnecting one by one? To see which device is affecting your internet?

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Haley,

thank you for your reply.

As I mentioned before this connection drop happens everyday at the same time independently from how many devices or which devices are connected.

however, we tried to do so since we’ve been calling multiple times and nothing changes.

I have had 2 pc, phone and tv working perfectly at the same time and then in contrast some times I disconnected all the devices, tried to connect only my phone or my laptop (to try the ethernet instead of the wi-fi) and the connection didn’t change.

So just to re-cap, the connection drops every day around midnight, now it happens around 12 to 2 pm too. 

Multiple devices checked, the connection doesn’t work I do often a hard reset (with a pen behind the router). 
connection comes back sometimes, sometimes I have to wait even after resetting.

Even when good however my connection does never go over 30/50mbps (which is quite okay at least for work) weirdly after I call the customer services it goes up to 100/120 but it stays for 24h maximum then drops again and stays around 30/50.

The technician did multiple tests and also changed the the virgin white socket, checked all the connections to/and from the router.

I can add that I read the instructions and the BQM is not affected by a device (if you see it doesn’t have a significant change during the night when everything is disconnected).

Hope this helps

many thanks

Lucy

Hi @llucymay,

Thank you for your response and for expanding on the situation. It's really helpful.

I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so that we can take a few extra details, and from there we'll be able to investigate this a little further. Please respond to this at your earliest convenience and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Burrerayy,

thank you for your answer. I’ve been contacted privately by the virgin team and then before I’ll try anything I’m trying to let them to check the issue even if I don’t know if they are fooling me or what, every time I’m almost getting an answer “they are looking into it” then they disappear and another colleague contacts me and I have to explain everything from the beginning. 

Never felt so disappointed, but I hope to sort it out somehow. 

Hi llucymay, 

Thanks for coming back to the thread to update things. When dealing with customers via private message, we try and keep hold of the issue ourselves to give you a positive experience however if we end up on a day off or annual leave, or even not in work due to circumstances, your message will be picked up by another agent so you're not left waiting on a response. 

In terms of security, if it's been over 48 hours and a new agent has picked up your message then you would be required to go through data protection again. This is the same as if you are calling, you would need to go through security on each phone call. As annoying as it can be, it's there to protect us as a business and you as a customer. 

I can see you have replied to my colleagues message and she will be back in touch shortly. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Dear Kath,

thank you for your reply. I could understand your security measures, however, if this was something that happened just once I would let it go.

Now, I have been made aware that you can look into my query without clearing the security but you can’t discuss my account information, which makes sense and should have been done long time ago.

After 3 months, what I managed to do after giving my personal details to half of the virgin employees probably (talking about security), no one looked into my issue, I received several times the answer “keep monitoring the line and let us know for now everything is okay” or “sorry someone will get in touch” or even “there is a major issue when it will be fixed you will hear from us and receive a compensation”. In concrete, nothing done.

If you care about my security, you can see my chat so 48h time does not make sense and also I gave my personal information to someone who was supposed to change some of my details and this has not been done so now there is a mismatch in my details.

Sorry if I start to doubt the job done, but after 3 months, yes frustration comes in and I’m really trying to be polite and comprehensive but I work from home and the issues caused are impacting my job.

Hope you’ll understand.

Thank you