cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband extremely unreliable

Dom1126
On our wavelength

Hey all,

This is my first post on here after having such a horrific time with Virgin I decided to have a look at if people are going through similar.

I took out a contract with Virgin Media in November 2022 with friends/family telling me it has the fastest speeds. After day one of installation I noticed drops in speed and in some cases loss of connection, after calling and speaking to Virgin then swapped my Hub 4 for a Hub 5 thinking this should fix the issue. It didn't. Fast forward to consistent phone calls (nearly every other day) Virgin finally booked an engineer, who couldn't find a fault but said he could see we had over 70 disconnects and speed drops just during the last week! He changed a few wires and explained it could take a little while for the speeds to adjust but it still made no difference. Virgin then booked another engineer who came out about a week later to say the exact same as the previous engineer but did say the wiring underneath the ground that connects to the green box needs to be replaced. Fast forward 2 weeks which is today an engineer came out from a third party company and changed the wiring under the ground and said he couldn't see any problems but changed it anyway but yet again it still has not fixed the issues. There is another engineer booked for Thursday and this will be my last hope before I cancel altogether. The people I have spoken to on the phone except one person have been horrendous, repeating the same thing constantly, reading off a script but in actual fact has no clue about how broadband works.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and what was the actual issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dom1126, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having an issue with your broadband speeds. 

The speeds you get at home will, of course, depend on a variety of factors, it depends on your package, what and how many devices you have, how they are connected amongst other things.

We do have a download speed guarantee though - this will show the minimum speed we would expect for all our packages - you can take a look at that here.

Please let us know how the engineer visit goes and if you need any further help, you know where we are. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Dom1126
On our wavelength

Hey all,

This is my first post on here after having such a horrific time with Virgin I decided to have a look at if people are going through similar.

I took out a contract with Virgin Media in November 2022 with friends/family telling me it has the fastest speeds. After day one of installation I noticed drops in speed and in some cases loss of connection, after calling and speaking to Virgin they swapped my Hub 4 for a Hub 5 thinking this should fix the issue. It didn't. Fast forward to consistent phone calls (nearly every other day) Virgin finally booked an engineer, who couldn't find a fault but said he could see we had over 70 disconnects and speed drops just during the last week! He changed a few wires and explained it could take a little while for the speeds to adjust but it still made no difference. Virgin then booked another engineer who came out about a week later to say the exact same as the previous engineer but did say the wiring underneath the ground that connects to the green box needs to be replaced. Fast forward 2 weeks which is today an engineer came out from a third party company and changed the wiring under the ground and said he couldn't see any problems but changed it anyway but yet again it still has not fixed the issues. There is another engineer booked for Thursday and this will be my last hope before I cancel altogether. The people I have spoken to on the phone except one person have been horrendous, repeating the same thing constantly, reading off a script but in actual fact has no clue about how broadband works.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and what was the actual issue?

Hi Dom1126, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having an issue with your broadband speeds. 

The speeds you get at home will, of course, depend on a variety of factors, it depends on your package, what and how many devices you have, how they are connected amongst other things.

We do have a download speed guarantee though - this will show the minimum speed we would expect for all our packages - you can take a look at that here.

Please let us know how the engineer visit goes and if you need any further help, you know where we are. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Dom1126
On our wavelength

Hi Kath,

Unfortunately it isn't about the speeds it's about the complete drop offs, I've just had the 4th engineer out today who has mentioned we have had over 90 disconnects in the last week alone. He can't find a fault neither could he tell us why this is happening. He changed everything he could and it's even worse now then what is was before he came.

New provider is our only option I think.....

Kind regards 

Thanks for coming back to us Dom1126 and I'm sorry to hear that the visit hasn't helped the situation. Has there been any improvements at all since you last posted?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Dom1126
On our wavelength

Hi Steven,

Nothing as yet, I was told to wait 48 hours to see if it improves but I can see already it's the same as it was with no improvement.

Kind regards 

Keep us updated @Dom1126 

We'll be here to support further if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Dom1126
On our wavelength

Well I have been on the phone today for 2 hours 49 minutes with still no fix or resolution, I am now being told I cannot cancel my contract unless I pay a fee for an early disconnection. It's outrageous.

I'm really disappointed with the service I've received since November, the packet loss is clear as day, I've recorded it for the last 48 hours and it's completely inconsistent every few minutes it'll drop out, playing any kind of online game is unplayable and having 4 kids that enjoy gaming online with their friends is hell for me..

I have tried everything I possibly can and everything virgin have told me to do. 

My previous broadband provider was SSE we had 70mbps speeds but never had any issues with lag/packet loss/ping/ms, it was absolutely fine the only problem we had was that was the highest speed they could provide. Why can't virgin find out what the problem is?

Hi @Dom1126 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I can see we have sent you a new hub since posting.

Please let us know how you get on with this and any issues etc.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Dom1126
On our wavelength

Hello,

It is exactly the same. No difference. Nothing connected but ethernet plugged into my PC. The ping is horrendous, raw download speed is perfect but any kind of gaming is completely unplayable.

I am now waiting for a call back from Virgin management regarding this. The previous advisor I spoke to said there is nothing else Virgin can do? I really don't know why thos issue can't be fixed? It's insane.....