cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drop out

Cmckell
Tuning in

My recently upgraded broadband drops out for a few seconds very frequently.  I first noticed this when I was on MS Teams video calls, when I would 'freeze' for other participants but now when I'm listening to the radio on the smart speaker and even sometimes I go to use an app or webpage there's no response till it re-connects. 

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this
-_____________
Can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, only hav eth rPC on Ethernet and not noticed drop out there. Hub lights have that off white yelllow colour, no change. The hub is Hub 3.0 VMDG505

Chas

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If it is a wifi only issue, then see this...

On a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂
To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat function (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, only have Pc on Ethernet and not noticed drop out there. Hub lights have that off white yelllow colour, no change. The hub is Hub 3.0 VMDG505

Chas

Thanks. I’ll look into that. But I do have the BT mesh system, which has been great in making sure Wi-Fi available all round house. Don’t see that there is an issue with that system.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It may be the BT Mesh. What model is it exactly and is the Hub in modem mode or not?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks for the advice.  The BT mesh is BT WholeHome WiFi P9F. Hub not in modem mode.
Chas

Hi there @Cmckell, welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see that you are having drop outs on your connection. I have done some checks on our end and can see more disconnections than usual on a Sam Knows test. Just to confirm, are all the cables in the hub and wall socket secure?

Also, do you notice these drop outs when the mesh system you are using is disconnected? If this has all been checked we may need to send out a technician to check this for you.

Please let me know when you have checked these, I can help further if needed.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for that. Yes, all seems secure and mesh not having affect. Would welcome technician visit (we 11th July if possible).

Chas