cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drop out affecting just my house.

Chrislks1
Tuning in

For almost a month now, my broadband has been disconnecting. There are no outages, its certainly not a WiFi issue, it's something to do with the connection from the box to the house I think, but I don't know what. 

The router remains on with a white light, there and no other lights on the router. On Virgins end, they cannot see the dropout, but on our end, everything goes, wired and wireless. The SSID of the router disappears from the network as if the router doesn't exist.

We have had three engineers out to the problem, who thankfully have seen this issue in action for themselves, however they're unable to resolve it. We have had three different routers, replaced the Coax cable, and they've replaced the cable leading outside the house too. This hasn't resolved the issue.

"restarting the router" brings everything back online, but is only a temporary fix as it all goes down again. We were advised that smart products can affect the broadband and to unplug all smart plugs and assistants. The problem persisted through this. I'm at my wits end with Virgin customer services who respond with the usual script of "tell me the problem, restart the router, 99 questions which I've answered already with the 8 other operators I've spoken to, I'll transfer you, we can't see any problem on our end etc." and then solutions such as "we'll send you wifi pods out, for a nice monthly fee" after clearly explaining that wired ethernet products have the same problem. If I have to repeat the problem once more to an operator I will scream. Do they even read the account notes???

Anyway, does anybody have any idea what could be causing the broadband drop off?

It's not WiFi, router, coax or outside cable. It's not router location as its been in the same place for two years and we've never had an issue. I personally think it's a connection at the exchange maybe? Not sure. 

3 REPLIES 3

Richw1982
Rising star

Are there any ethernets connected?  If so disconnect them and turn off any powerlines/Wi-Fi boosters 

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Hi, no ethernet cables connected at the moment, and we don't own any WiFi boosters. 

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Chrislks1

This is not great at all is it 

Let me take a look at this in a bit more detail. Especially as its a repeat fault and you have no other equipment attached

So I can loo at this in a bit more detail, I need to ass security by private message  

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L