Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Broadband down for 5 days

As title, no broadband for 5 days. I’m writing this in utter desperation that Virgin might actually do something.

I ring tech support and book and engineer though the automated system. An hour later get a text cancelling the engineer as they’ve found a problem and will fix it in a random number of hours. 30 minutes before this expires a text arrives claiming a fix. This is a lie which you inform them of. So then you book an engineer etc.

Five days of this while two of us have to hold down full time jobs using our phones. Forget any entertainment or other so called services.

If I could cancel this I would. Much longer and I’ll be looking at legal options 

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband down for 5 days

What does the service status page say?

If there’s a local or area fault they won’t send engineers to individual properties. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

It says there are problems with the TV service which will be fixed by 10:30. Our TV is fine.

I’ll ring tech support for the first time today in a bit. I probably get to book an engineer. The status page will change, engineer will be cancelled and a mythical fix time will appear. I expect to repeat this process a couple of times before bed.

6 days now

I’m going to book Sky tomorrow and expect to see Virgin in the small claims court soon. Who knows, they might send a real person.

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Fix times are estimates.

You also have no grounds for taking them to court either.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Just tried it. Apparently TV is the same as broadband so I can either spend hours on hold or wait until 10:30 when the TV problem in my area will be fixed. My broadband will still be out and I’m unable to report it but who cares eh?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps but it will make me feel better no the impotent victim of a faceless corporation. I’ll try for loss of earning perhaps, or my time , who knows

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

You can’t claim for loss of earnings on a residential broadband connection. You need a business broadband connection.

Have you actually reported the outage?

Is it a total loss of service or just intermittent?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

8. Internet access is for private use by you and members of your household. It must not be used for any activities not reasonably expected of someone using internet access for domestic purposes, for example whilst a reasonable amount of working from home is expected, your usage should be within what would be reasonably expected from a residential customer and we have no liability for any business losses you may suffer.  We have other more appropriate packages such as Homeworks, and for small business use there are services provided for by Virgin Media Business.

If you "can't" work without the internet i'd say that wouldn't fall under the "reasonable amount" If you are relying on the connections and "can't" work wothout it or work from an office then your home is now your work locations. 

If my internet fails and my backup will not work i can still work from the office at any time. 

You wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court if you require internet to work you require a business connection

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. You’ve been a great help, but I was clearly fooling myself if I wanted anything constructive 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have escalated to the VM forum team, one of the VM staff will be along in this thread to resolve it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos