Menu
Steve808
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Broadband down again in Macclesfield

So. Woke this morning to find BB down...again.  Happened Thursday as well and only came back later that evening.

So followed the usual suggestions, check connections, reboot, reset, run system check from App...nothing. 'Service is good...We think your equipment may be turned off'!! Really?

So help desk it is. Well that is a dead end. Holding for over an hour with no reply. Twice.

So Virgin...you treat customers like idiots and provide no way to report or resolve issues. 

How do I get this looked at? And how do you justify taking my money every month with this level of customer care?

I am all ears..

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Super solver
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband down again in Macclesfield

Hello

Can you please post your network stats from the hub

Open a Web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) and enter the address http://192.168.0.1

Note: If you have enabled Modem Mode on your Hub 3.0 you will need to use 192.168.100.1 instead.

Do not login but click on where it says "Check Router Stats" and then copy and post from the following 4 tabs, Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network logs and we can check your power level, also while you about that can you please go around and check that all connectors to VM equipment are hand tight. Also while doing this please check for any damage to cable, or un-terminated connection without either coax or a terminator.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Steve808
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike.

All connections are sound, outside the house and in. TV still work fine so I am assuming no integrity issues with the cable in general.

Difficult to post stats as I am having to use my mobile to post on this forum.

Network log is showing critical errors along the lines of Registration RSP rejected message syntax error, T6 timeout and retires exceeded, Reg RSP not received.

Is there anything specific i can look for in the other tabs as there is a lot of into in there?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Super solver
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If you look at your downstream power levels they should be in the range -3 to + 8 dBmv and SNR should be ≥ 34.5 dB, your upstream power levels Lower than 53 dBmv, can you check these for me.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Also check for known faults. As well as trying the “check service,” weblink at the top of this forum board, there is also a Service Status number 0800 561 0061 which usually tells you of local issues, down to postcode level (that might even not yet be listed on the Service Status web page) that may give you more info.
If nothing shows there call it in and see what they say when they test your connection and if possible get a fault reference number.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Steve808
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Downstream is showing -6.7 dBmV which seems to be outside your suggested range. SNR is 38.

Upstream is 5.7 dBmV

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Super solver
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello

How many channels on your down stream are showing outside of stats, your upstream how many channels are show outside of specs, the upstream you have to multiple by 10 to get the real figure and is also outside of specs.

Certainly check your coaxial connections to all kit, if after that you are going to need an engineer, so either call in (150) or wait for a VM staff member to pick this up.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Steve808
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Both downstream and upstream stats just have a single entry listed as Channel 1, with the values I listed earlier.

Guess I should find myself a movie to watch and call 150 again. Will probably try a few more reboots as well...you never know.

Thanks for trying to assist. Have a good weekend.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Steve808 wrote:

Hi Mike,

Both downstream and upstream stats just have a single entry listed as Channel 1, with the values I listed earlier.

Guess I should find myself a movie to watch and call 150 again. Will probably try a few more reboots as well...you never know.

Thanks for trying to assist. Have a good weekend.

You sure there is only one channel ?  what Hub model do you have ?  Try a pinhole reset.  With the Hub "on" push in the pin on the back/side/bottom of the Hub with the end of a paperclip until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold for a "timed" 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that.  Your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings  and Wifi networks should revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card

Then post up the FULL stats from those 3 pages

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You need to post the stats in full, Downstream, Upstream and network logs,

However, if you have lost connection it would be pointless posting the Upstream and downstream as the stats would not be populated

What are the lights doing on the Hub?
If the Hub 3's base light is flashing green or earlier Hub's Ready light flashing green then the Hub has lost connection to VM's servers and you will need to phone in unless you fancy waiting a few days for a VM bod to reply on here.

BTW I see that part of Seph's sticky has been cribbed without understanding again. The upper limit on the upstream depends on the number of upstream channels and modulation. e.g. max transmit is 51dBmv with 4 upstream channels on 64QAM.

EDIT.
I have just seen that the stats are not populating in full.
The T6 errors are indicating that the Hub is failing to register with VM's CMTS so therefore no connection,

0 Kudos