Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband disconnects like clockwork

Why does my internet disconnect EVERY SINGLE NIGHT between 12:30am and 1:00am, this happens every single night w/o failure.

I have 500Mb GAMER broadband, pretty bloody pointless if I can't game on it, now I am getting (time) banned from game servers because I disconnect so often.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband disconnects like clockwork

A few questions to try and get to the bottom of it. How long has it been going on? VM often schedules work on the network/updates etc in the early hours that can cause this. However, it doesn't usually continue for weeks.

Also is your connection a wfi one or on ethernet cable connected gaming devices? If its wifi it could be some external interference (outwith your control) due to some device (e.g. in your house - or your neighbours) "switching on" at the same time of night.

Do you know whether other (non-gaming) devices in other rooms of the property also drop out at the same time?  Both wifi and ethernet connected ones?

To get some evidence to show to VM, if you haven’t already, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” (as per instructions on the TB website) when you have the first 24h period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you were in Southampton, VM was down briefly, phone said they were doing maintenance, but should be back to normal by 8am, though its back up for me now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have Virgin for years, I recently moved property and decided to upgrade from 350Mb to 500Mb.

Never had an issue with my 350Mb link, since moving and getting a 500Mb link I have been plagued with the midnight (usually 12:37am) restart of my router ("hub").

1. This has been going on for over a month (shortly after the line was activated [didn't happen initially]).
  2. The hub is in modem mode (as the previous one [returned] was at the old address).
  3. The hub is connected to my Tri-Band Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi system (as it previously was), not using anything other than a single LAN port on the hub.
  4. It's not the mesh WiFi system (I haven't even plugged in my PiHole), the hub reboots, complete system restart/reboot cycle (off > white > green > magenta).
  5. My "gaming" device is my desktop but that's irrelevant, as soon as the line drops all devices lose connectivity (for 5-10 minutes while the hub boots), be it watching Netflix, browsing, etc.

I saw a previous post that mentioned the “Broadband Quality Monitor”, I have signed up but will have to setup my Linksys system (tomorrow) to permit the ICMP request (as it will get ignored/swallowed).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Usually it’s because they’re performing maintenance. There’s nothing really you can do about it. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos