Menu
sneakyg
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broadband different speed on different devices - new to VM

Hi, 

not sure if this is the correct board, but I just got broadband on Monday and am having issues, i can get 100mb on one laptop, but my work laptop only gets to around 10mb (although it has also reached the dizzy heights of 30mb). 

both devices are in the same room and conected to the WIFI, ive tried renaming the 2.4g so that the work laptop connects to 5G however this made no difference (so i changed it back). My daughter is having the same issues which is effecting her ability to connect to her online lessons.  I spent hours on the phone to customer service, but they are more than useless and said the fault is that i changed my password.

can someone give me some advice please. The only thing that has changed from the fresh instal on monday is the wifi name and password

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband different speed on different devices - new to VM

Oh yes VM we all trust the default password and maybe its faster on the default I wonder why...🙄

sometimes VM wifi work great on one device but on others its poor so get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
sneakyg
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, can you point me in the direction of what your suggesting as I do not have a clue about it...also - can you suggest if there is anything i can do in the mean time? as I am getting 8.09Mpbs at the moment on it 😞
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Only sure fire answer to to buy an Ethernet cable and plug it into the laptop and the VM hub. I could write a book on the problems with WiFi!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
billbill
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are both devices that are in the same room also in the same room as the VM hub? 

It could just be a poor design of the laptop wi-fi unit, or location of antennas in it. Do a BB speed test quite close to the VM hub.

If the laptop is in the same room as the hub, it is always best to connect via Ethernet cable (Tudor could write a book on wi-fi problems 🐵

If the laptop is not in the same room, think if Ethernet cables could be run, if not now, then when re-decorating or fitting new carpets (run cable under floorboards, not directly under carpet).

The trend now is for mesh systems to improve wi-fi coverage. The first unit connects to the VM hub with a supplied ethernet cable (which you then put in router mode) and the other units (you can buy a starter 3 pack and add more units if you wish) you dot around the house, such as they can either 'see' the main unit or another unit over wi-fi & they all talk together and relay your wi-fi signal back to the VM hub. They can also be linked together (or linked by a switch) via Ethernet cable for even better performance.

The downside is that you cannot use the four ethernet connections on the hub, so if you are using these, a switch will be required, Tp-Link 4 port for £13 or 8 port for £19

Look on Amazon for the Tp-Link Deco S4 3 unit set. Price fluctuates between £99 and £100. There are cheaper & more expensive units.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi sneakyg

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

My apologies for the WiFi issues, not the ideal start I agree. I do wish to help you fix this. I've had a check on our systems today and no issues are showing. All the levels are in spec etc. 

Do you have a smartphone? If so, please download from the phone's app store free of charge, the Virgin Media Connect app. When downloaded and set up, you'll be able to do a scan in the property and this will identify any coverage blackspots and also optimise the connection where possible.

Please could you also do a BQM as well? This is so we can see what the connection is doing, check any drops, spikes etc.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
sneakyg
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I’ve downloaded the app and will scan the rooms later.

however my daughter was sitting with her laptop less than 1 meter from the hub and her connection was around 20mg, while I was sitting around 2 meters from the hub and had 100mb. This is a common theme that we’re facing and want to sort it while we’re in our cooling off period

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@sneakyg wrote:

Hi, I’ve downloaded the app and will scan the rooms later.

however my daughter was sitting with her laptop less than 1 meter from the hub and her connection was around 20mg, while I was sitting around 2 meters from the hub and had 100mb. This is a common theme that we’re facing and want to sort it while we’re in our cooling off period

It depends on the spec of the wireless card in the laptop. If it’s a single antenna wireless “b/g/n” card then that’s about the right speed. 

Have you done the wired speed test yet?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
sneakyg
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No I have not done the wired test yet, 

I will do it shortly, how do I tell if it’s a single access wireless card?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@sneakyg wrote:

No I have not done the wired test yet, 

I will do it shortly, how do I tell if it’s a single access wireless card?

Get the make and model from the device manager on the laptop 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos