Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Broadband connection very poor quality

Dear Forum team,

My broadband connection appears to be very poor quality and I can barely maintain a voice signal without losing connection. I teach 200 students at a time over zoom, so this is highly embarrassing! Would it be possible to have a look at my connection? I cannot seem to speak to anyone at VM on the phone. I do appreciate it is a busy time. I have run the VM test, reset the hub, reset the wifi boosters (which normally work fine). It has been like this since September but was fine in the summer.

Any help/advice gratefully received as I am desperate!

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband connection very poor quality

Firstly, VM do not and never have guaranteed Wi-Fi speed or coverage.

What is your connection like using a direct connection with a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, good question and I should have been clearer: quite often i measure it and it is >100Mbps but I have just been speaking to some students via Teams and it was 0.5Mbps latency 50ms and cutting out so much that they couldn't hear me. I know that everyone comes online in the mornings but my neighbours don't seem to have the same problem, so I wondered if it was something to do with me and my setup...

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Use an ethernet connection if possible.

I have never used Teams so don't know the ins and outs of it.

In a previous life working for the MoD, we used to have a daily video meeting with Lockheed Martin in the USA and at the first sign of a problem we lowered the video fidelity but left the audio as normal, at the time we realised that what we said was more important than seeing someone blinking. 

Can you do similar with Teams ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, good ideas, I have already cut down the incoming video and my outgoing video and even then my voice is apparently cutting in and out. Seems odd when it sometimes speed testing at 70Mbps/10Mbps.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

My BQM 

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Downstream

berthol_0-1606139896798.png