Menu
georgemac01
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Broadband boosters

Hi All. It's unbelievable that Virgin have no broadband boosters. I have rang twice about this problem to be told another date 05/02/21 that they are expected to arrive. I cannot pre order I have to ring again to place my order. Generally 20 mins on the phone before someone answers and another 20 mins to be told awaiting delivery. I would not wait in a shop that long for service

George

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband boosters

VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying - if free - despite them being out of stock.

Otherwise you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off the cost of buying a "better" solution (NOT boosters!) that will be yours to own and use forever and sourced from the shop by tomorrow

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
georgemac01
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

I should have said they are out of both the pod and boosters. I can get pods on line from another supplier for £99, but i don't want to spend that money if I can get them free My system was installed on 15/02 and the engineer said the pods were best

Thanks

George

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Moot point... the Pods are better than boosters - but neither come anywhere near a good Mesh or wireless router that can be had for the same price. If they are not free on your package (are they - what package are you on?) forget them and get better kit. If they are then either sit tight and wait - or get your own better kit tomorrow. Your call.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
georgemac01
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi John They tell me the pods are mesh. Thanks for your advise but I changed to Virgin to get better WI FI which they promised me when I was making the deal. The speed of the broadband is good but the WI FI is worse than I had with Talk talk. Virgin has extended my cooling off period for 14 days after I receive the pods. I may change if they cannot produce better WI FI 

George

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Pods should work.

But as you haven't said they are free, I assume you will be paying £5/month for them which after an 18 month contract is £90 and you still dont own them and that money will get a decent mesh system (Deco M4) which you will own forever. And also because they are out of stock that compounds the fact that a proper Mesh is x2/3/4 units and they wont just send out additional units - it requires a Tech visit to ascertain you actually need one (or two more). Its just not worth the hassle IMHO.

Any BB user who wants good wifi performance will always use their own kit particularly these days in crowded wifi environments where a cheap Hub is just not up to the job.

I have done so for 20 years starting with one of the very available first consumer units - the Apple Airport Extreme - never had a single wifi only issue in those 20 years.

If you are considering moving supplier, remember that all providers provide a service that is guaranteed TO the Hub and what comes out from it on an ethernet cable ALL expressly exclude guaranteeing wifi connections - as it is so influenced by the external environment and the size of your property. Even BT with its glossy ad's saying wifi is “guaranteed”, also charge £10/month for their "discs" and say that if it isn’t sorted they will just give you £100 back - some guarantee as you can buy a set of those for ~£100 too.

The reality is, that if any Hub's wifi doesnt work well for you then you are far better sourcing your own wireless equipment.

One thing you could try whilst waiting is that you could try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands and switching off "channel optimisation" - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for better kit.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
georgemac01
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi John They told me they are free as the installation engineer recommended I needed them. Here's hoping I will give them a try when they come into stock

George

0 Kudos
georgemac01
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi John. I should have said I priced Tenda  MW 6

Thanks again 

George

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Whatever the tech said - Pods are currently only free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - are you on one of those 2 ?

If not you will find a £5/month charge added to your account once they have been sent.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
georgemac01
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

I will be pushing for free pods because the sales team said I would get better WI Fi than Talktalk. My package only statesfibre broadband M100 no Oomph stated

Thanks

George

0 Kudos