Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband and booster order issues

Hi folks, further to my tweet, I have a few issues to help improve our WiFi. We were recently promised a new hub after suffering continual problems with WiFi quality. Due to the nature of our home (long narrow house, tall ceilings) we also need to order 3 WiFi boosters. Have tried to access help online and on the phone with no joy at all. We’ve been trying to sort this for many a month now using the Connect app and calls to help centre. Appreciate this is difficult times but we’re currently making no progress. Looking forward to some help. 👍

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband and booster order issues

If the boosters are rented, then the price is how shall I put it?  Very well padded.  In a single year you'd pay the cost of buying your own kit outright.

Even if you get them free, then the chances of them working well across the sort of property you describe is slim, because they usually rely on linking via power circuits, and if your house has multiple fused or MCB circuits then performance may be poor.  YIn my view you'd be better off investigating putting your money into a mesh wifi setup.  That link is only a guide.  Avoid systems that don't have a gigabit ethernet ports because if they don't there will be a severe throttle on the connection speeds.  For an Openreach FTTP connection the throttling is above the fastest speed you'd get so doesn't matter, for a VM connection of 200 or faster it is a problem.

I use a TP-LInk Deco M4, that's been excellent value, fast and reliable in my use.  And personally I wouldn't buy the Amazon Eero or Google/Nest systems for reasons of value, support and privacy, your views may differ.  The privacy argument probably isn't relevant if you've already got smart speakers, doorbells or other related types of gear.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

And a further comment - obviously spending money and improving your wifi fixes the wifi.  If any of the performance problems are in fact with the cable connection, then they will remain.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Flezzer,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you haven't been able to order a booster.

So I can try to help I would like to invite you into a private chat, I will send an invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul. 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul, I forwarded the details you required for the private chat earlier. Do you think you will be able to respond soon? Cheers

0 Kudos