Menu
Hedgehog70
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Woes - Turned to Mesh

We have been with VM for a good few years now and have the 200Mbps broadband package with a white Hub 3.0

There has been more incidents of loss of service than I care to remember (when WiFi is still broadcasting SSID and clients are still connected on the LAN side, but the WAN is very much offline.

Its always been frustrating, but we’ve also had intermittent dead zones from a WiFi perspective as well as a bizarre IP conflict with a pair of iPhones even though everything is on dynamic IP assignment.

I initially tried a basic TP-Link extender with limited success and then the VM power line boosters again with limited success and we’ve limped through, which when you think of the monthly cost isn’t really on. 

VM haven’t been great citing various intermittent, non specific issues along with network upgrades. They always promised to keep me updated by text, but never have.

This year brought things to a head as there was more reliance on the broadband with home working and home schooling and this caused quite a bit of domestic stress! After much research I purchased a triple pack of the TP-Link Deco M5 Mesh WiFi units. My initial set up was done last Monday and initially I was very impressed. Speeds on the top floor went from around 10Mbps to an average of 100Mbps.

The issues I have been struggling with is devices just dropping off the network for no apparent reason. These are my printer, one Echo Dot, one Ring camera and my Sonos One. Other Echo devices and Ring cameras have been fine. All Apple products have been fine.

I’ve rebooted, reset all affected devices. I made the main Deco an AP rather than a router and I turned off the 2.4GHz briefly to help reconnect some devices.

The Sonos and the Amazon Echo devices will just stop playing and this coincides with no WAN.

I haven’t fully got my head around why Deco reports devices that are clearly online as offline.

The last thing I tried was putting Hub 3.0 into modem mode, but that stopped all clients working. I am getting pretty fed up now as you can imagine. I had another triple pack of Deco’s arrive today as I thought I had sorted it, but it seems not (at least as far as certain devices are concerned). My wife is due back working from home on Monday and we need stability!

My next plan was to take all devices that are non-critical and put them on another ‘partitioned’ WiFi network using the new Deco’s

If anyone can offer any words of wisdom then please let me know. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Woes - Turned to Mesh

You need to use modem mode with the TP-Link Deco M5 Mesh then it be fine.

Have a wired PC to the hub and change to modem mode get that working first you may need to turn off/on the hub for 2mins or unplug replug the Ethernet cable.

take that PC and connect to a Deco set in router mode and log in find the MAC clone option to copy your PC MAC to the Deco.

Then connect the Deco to the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Hedgehog70
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

I will try and borrow a PC as I only have a MAC with Thunderbolt 3

Switching to modem mode wirelessly doesn’t seem to work! Had to reset Hub 3 with pin

I have disabled WiFi and SSID broadcast on Hub 3

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Get a T'bolt to ethernet adapter (from the usual places) - I have one to connect my Mac by ethernet cable and it works just fine with full speeds. Useful to have in your bits drawer for occasions like this.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Hedgehog70
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ordered one last night

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Please keep us informed how things go Hedgehog70.  It looks like you're in very good hands:-)

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Hedgehog70
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Things have been fairly stable today. I reset and readded my Sonos to the network. I didn’t add Alexa to Sonos this time. I deleted all non Amazon devices (apart from Hive) from the Alexa App. I added 3 more Deco M5’s last night and the Mesh side is working well. I’ve identified and renamed all devices on the network within the Deco app. I assigned owners for most devices. Annoyingly I discovered their is a limit on how many devices someone can ‘own’ within the Deco app so I had to create another profile for non-specific ownership devices. I set my wife’s work Laptop as a high priority device. I turned off mesh capability for static devices such as CCTV cameras and V6 TiVo boxes.

i have ditched BBC Sounds on the Sonos and am now listening to BBC R2 via Sonos Radio within the Sonos App. I have had no dropout at all today (so far).

The Hub 3.0 is still in router mode as is the main Deco M5 so there will be double NAT, but I can’t change it to router mode until my Thunderbolt 3 adapter turns up (but right now I’m wondering what benefits it will bring anyway).

I need to make this work as Openreach will only deliver between 2-6Mbps as there is no fibre in our area. Plus I’m £300 in with the Deco’s.

Current speeds are 206Mbps downstream and 19.8Mbps upstream. When it all works it is brilliant.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My mate just told me he got the M5 4-pack yesterday and in his words - "it's absolutely brilliant". He is on the 100 package and wifi speed tests in all rooms including attic conversion and shed, get 100-108Mbps down and 10 up.

I'm no expert but I am sure one will be along shortly to say that using 2 routers is asking for trouble. Get it in modem mode asap.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm not an expert either but Google say:

"In most cases, Double Network Address Translation (NAT) does not affect Wi-Fi performance. But it can be an issue if you play online games or use port forwarding rules and Universal Plug and Play (UPnP)."
https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6277579?hl=en

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos