Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband WIFI keeps dropping

We previously had issues with our broadband speed and paid to upgrade to M350.

Although there are a number of us all connected at the same time, there's nothing hard working to drop the speed. We're either web browsing or emailing. On the occasions when someone is on a digital online meeting like Zoom or Teams, this is affected greatly and you have to disconnect and reconnect during the call. Frustrating when our son is trying to attend a Uni lecture online, or I'm on a meeting with a client.

I've tested the speed on each laptop:

Mine (wired) 13ms   49.9mbps download   36.9mbps upload

Son (wifi)  17ms   28.1mbps download   36.6mbps upload

Wife (wifi)   31ms   4.73mbps download   6.63mbps upload

Why does the signal drop constantly??? Is there a fault or is this a Virgin router specific issue? Does this happen with SKY...?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband WIFI keeps dropping

What device and cable-type are you speedtesting with for the wired connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Surface 2 and I've got it wired through a plugable USB docking station, so I can have extra USB ports. The Surface only has 1.

This also allows me to multi-screen across my other 2 monitors.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what does it report the 'connection speed’ as for the cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How do I get to that area?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What is the dock make and model? It could be that the dock only supports 10/100Mbps ethernet, and/or the cable being used is only CAT5.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't have a problem with my laptop.

The biggest issue is the wifi keeps dropping.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If it's just the wifi dropping then you can either attempt to optimise with the tools built into the hubs admin pages, or look to get your own (better) router or mesh system

0 Kudos